Bedroom light just wont work!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!! :?: :?: :!:

I have recently installed a new light fixture in my bathroom. Since then the bedroom light next door just wont switch on.

Ive tried the following:
1. Replace light bulb
2. Replace the wire from the light bulb fitting until where it connects to the ceiling.
3. replaced the light switch
4. pulled the wires of the light switch.. the wires from the ceiling moved, proofing there is no breakage in the wire.
5. checked the tripped switches.. they are in the correct position.

I am lost now.. the only other thing I can think is either that the wire in the wall is burned. in that case how do I replace it? or somewhere on the main electric box a fuse has blown.. but where? I have to say that when i replaced the bathroom light, the trip switch was off..

Can any one help???/!!! :cry: [/i][/b]

Sponsored Links
The bathroom light must be the loop before the bedroom light.

You have dropped a neutral or live in the bathroom light.

Loosen the bathroom light from the ceiling, and look for live or neutral cable that has jumped out. It may still look like it is in the terminal, so give them all a tug.

If you only have a L N and E at the bathroom light (1 single cable), then you may have disturbed a joint box in the loft above which was hanging on by a thread. Look there.

What type of light bulbs are in the bedroom / bathroom lights? There is also a chance you mixed two blacks, swapping a sw live with a neutral. This would effectivly put one light in series with the other, one would work normally, but one would bring on both lights dimmly.......however, some lamp types would not glow at all at half volts.

HELP!!! :?: :?: :!:

I have recently installed a new light fixture in my bathroom. Since then the bedroom light next door just wont switch on.

Ive tried the following:
1. Replace light bulb
2. Replace the wire from the light bulb fitting until where it connects to the ceiling.
3. replaced the light switch
4. pulled the wires of the light switch.. the wires from the ceiling moved, proofing there is no breakage in the wire.
5. checked the tripped switches.. they are in the correct position.

I am lost now.. the only other thing I can think is either that the wire in the wall is burned. in that case how do I replace it? or somewhere on the main electric box a fuse has blown.. but where? I have to say that when i replaced the bathroom light, the trip switch was off..

Can any one help???/!!! :cry: [/i][/b]

When you say you replaiced the fitting in your bathroom, can you describe how the wires were in the fitting BEFORE you took it down.

All to often as other sparks will agree joe public will replaice a fitting and put all the red wires together and all the black wires together.....WRONG..... if you dont know what you are doing then get a professional domestic part p registered electrician.

Im not having a go as at the end of the day its the likes of me that'll make money from you because of your wrong doing. :)

There is no mention of a bang or blow fuse or MCB, so I am assuming he/she has not connected all reds and blacks together ;)

Sponsored Links
mmm thanks. the thing is the bathroom light is working.. its just the bedroom light that does not work since. does that mean if I wire the bathroom light incorrect, that it might still work?

mmm thanks. the thing is the bathroom light is working.. its just the bedroom light that does not work since. does that mean if I wire the bathroom light incorrect, that it might still work?

It sounds like the cable that goes from your bathroom to your bedroom has been incorrectly terminated in one way or another, either the live or neutral is either not terminated or is broken at the fitting in your bathroom where all the wires are terminated, or if the live goes from your switch to your bedroom the fault may be at the bathroom switch, are there any other lights not working ?

Have you checked all fittings with a known working lamp ( bulb ) ?

How many wires do you have at the switch in the bathroom ? ie are there a red and black wire one in each terminal or are there three red wires, it depends how the wiring was done as to where the live feed goes to and from.

If the 'live loop out' wire was transposed, and connected to the switched live, then any lights 'downstream' of the bathroom light would only work when the bathroom light was switched on.

If you've trapped the insulation of a wire in a terminal, the connection may seem secure but it may not make an electrical connection.

It sounds like the cable that goes from your bathroom to your bedroom has been incorrectly terminated in one way or another, either the live or neutral is either not terminated or is broken at the fitting in your bathroom where all the wires are terminated.

Did I not say that :rolleyes:

The bathroom light may be working, but that does not mean it is not causing the problem.

Re-read my first post, and start again from there ;)

hello.. Ive tried some of the advise.. here is what I have now..

bathroom light working when switched on alone.
when switching on bedroom light, it glows faint and the bathroom light glows faint as well even if the bathroom switch is off.

Ive left the backplate wire intact (did not disconnect when switches fittings), then connected blue wires to the two black wires coming from ceiling and the brown wires to the red wire coming from the ceiling...

pakamish you've made a mistake in your wiring.
See if you can find the difference between what you have done and the wiring in the image below.

switch1.jpg

By saying the lamps glow dimmly, you have confirmed my very first post.

What type of light bulbs are in the bedroom / bathroom lights? There is also a chance you mixed two blacks, swapping a sw live with a neutral. This would effectivly put one light in series with the other, one would work normally, but one would bring on both lights dimmly.......however, some lamp types would not glow at all at half volts.

Hi.. Yes ive read your first reply but still struggling. I agree ive done the wiring wrong. Ive found the below post on this website.

Connecting to an existing junction box
Ensure the mains supply is still switched off. Remove the cover of the junction box. Connect the red conductor of the new cable to the screw terminal with the three or more red conductors. Connect the black conductor with all the other black conductors and connect the earth conductor covered in a green/yellow sheath with other earth conductors to the earth terminal. Replace the cover of the junction box.

My setup is as follows..
The earth wires are intact, so im not worried about that. Four red wires coming from the ceiling.. and two black wires coming from the ceiling..

My question is, should I just connect all four red wires to the brown wire of the lamp and the two black wires to the blue wire from the lamp. ?[/img]

You have got to identify all the wires correctly before you know how to connect them.

I think you need to go up to the high street, and buy:

a multimeter
some red sleeving or tape
some green&yellow sleeving
a permananet marker pen
some white vinyl tape

then read and do
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=677885#677885

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back