Bedroom lights gone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom lights have gone out. They were fine last night but wouldn't switch on. There was no pop or anything like that.

I checked the consumer unit and the fuses haven't gone and all the other lights on the same level are fine.

Any ideas?

Is there anything simple I can test before I call an electrician?

Sponsored Links
By bedroom lights do you mean lights in one particular bedroom; or do you mean lights in two or more bedrooms?

Sponsored Links
What, you mean two 2 way switches? So either switch turns on all 9 lights?

Or does the dimmer turn on some lights; and the switch turns on the other lights?

What, you mean two 2 way switches? So either switch turns on all 9 lights?

Or does the dimmer turn on some lights; and the switch turns on the other lights?

The dimmer is the main switch for all the lights by the door. The norman switch is by the bed and also controls all the lights.

Have you tried the ordinary switch by the bed?

Changing the dimmer to the opposite position may allow to switch by the bed to make the lights work.

A faulty dimmer switch is likely, though not necessarily the problem.

Have you tried the ordinary switch by the bed?

Changing the dimmer to the opposite position may allow to switch by the bed to make the lights work.

A faulty dimmer switch is likely, though not necessarily the problem.

I have a spare switch somewhere so I will switch it for the dimmer and have a go.

Thanks for that.

Make sure it is a one gang 2 way switch - that's one switch with three terminals.

Observe which wire is the 'common'.

If they are low voltage couldn't be the transformer? A lot of the cheap B&Q style lights have one transformer feeding lots of lights.

If they are low voltage couldn't be the transformer? A lot of the cheap B&Q style lights have one transformer feeding lots of lights.

Could be overheated Transformer , Or have you changed any Lamps , On B&Poo type sets the Tranny is only rated for 20watt Lamps , wish I`d had a Quid for every time I`ve found 50watt Lamps in their place which fooks up the Tranny ??

Or a loose Feed Connection in a JB which no doubt feeds the Tranny/Lights
or maybe a Loose Wire in the Switch(s)

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back