Bedroom window in extension overlooking garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've planned an extension and I'm very happy with it.
I spoke to the council today at the pre-application advice centre and they said all seems fine except it is unlikely I'd get permission for a bedroom with a frosted glass window and being nearly 20m from a neighbour it would have to be.

The council seem fine with me putting a bedroom in the loft with no windows but object to a frosted glass window in a 1st floor room.

Is there any way I can get around this? I know I can change the design but except for this issue, the design is about perfect.

Sponsored Links
High-level window?

But the issue is, what policy would the window potentially breach?

She didn't say but she did say that building regs was not their department as planning was about neighbours and aesthetics.
Thanks for your reply, it helps a lot. If I can find out the exact problem it may help fjnd a solution!

As it happens, whilst writing this post it has crossed my mind that I may be able to install 'sun blinds' - or 'shuttees' which prevent looking directly opposite but not down.

As it happens, whilst writing this post it has crossed my mind that I may be able to install 'sun blinds' - or 'shuttees' which prevent looking directly opposite but not down.
I doubt that will fool the planners. They are a cunning lot.

Sponsored Links
There is a condition in the Permitted Development rules which states that any side-facing window in any storey above the ground floor must be glazed in obscured glazing and with a top opener at least 1.7m above the floor.
So why does your LPA not accept a first floor window glazed in obscured glass?
(BTW, the required top opener would contravene the Building Regs requirement for escape windows, so you would need to have the staircase in a separate enclosure, with fire doors to habitable rooms, to provide alternative means of escape).

Thanks Tony, you are right. Planning explicitly state that the window must not open but building regs state that it must.
Looks like I'll just have to change my plans.

... unless there is some kind of "break in case of fire" window latch that could only be used as a fire escape. I could then put a clear opening window at 1.7m and that should be fine ... I think.

Is there such a thing?

For future reference, I got in touch with Building Control who were exceedingly fast in replying. While this is largely how the conversation went, ask specifically for yourself should you need it.

My Email said:
Can I confirm a few points please:
1) Building regulations do not prevent a bedroom from having a frosted glass window.
2) The window could be locked with a key which is placed in a 'break glass' box beside it to satisfy Egress requirements (a bit like on a train)
3) A protected Stairwell would remove the need for an opening window altogether (although I would also be using option 2 subject to planning accepting that).

Reply said:
1) I can confirm that the Building Regulations do not prevent a bedroom from having a frosted glass window.
2) Yes, option 2 is acceptable.
3) Yes, that is correct.
However, to meet the Building Regulations the bedroom will require 1/20th of the floor area in natural ventilation. Therefore you may need to install a fan to achieve this.

For future reference, I got in touch with Building Control who were exceedingly fast in replying. While this is largely how the conversation went, ask specifically for yourself should you need it.

A fire escape window can only be a max of 1100 from floor

20m between dwellings is a fair distance. There used to be a rule of thumb in planning housing layouts that 21m back to back between houses was a minimum distance required.

It seems stupid that you can’t have a normal window on a rear facing bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back