been on the dole 6 months no work in this game

have done worked from the bottom but cant get over the wall i was earning a grand a week but that kind of money these days is garbage at that rate it will take me 200 years to buy the house i want its about time the bbc made a programme called rough contractors

Sponsored Links
It's quite simple, drip. Advertise:

"Available: Belligerent yob, can barely write English, almost no qualifications, wants paying doctor's rate. Should be handed fat contract on basis of you owing him a living. An arseh*le but what do you expect."

ChrisR said:
It's quite simple, drip. Advertise:

"Available: Belligerent yob, can barely write English, almost no qualifications, wants paying doctor's rate. Should be handed fat contract on basis of you owing him a living. An arseh*le but what do you expect."
ok chrisT DONE THE ADVETISING ALL CONTRACT WORK IS SOW UP

Sponsored Links
drip said:
have done worked from the bottom but cant get over the wall i was earning a grand a week but that kind of money these days is garbage at that rate it will take me 200 years to buy the house i want its about time the bbc made a programme called rough contractors

GRC - Tell us (I'm just curious) ;

What kind of work you were doing when you were earning £1000 per week?

What do you actually want to do?

What kind of house do you want, that you couldn't afford on what seems to be average earnings of £52k per annum?

Regards, Graham

Guys,

I really don't wish to add fuel to the fire, firstly I still don't understand drip's original message, but what puzzles me even more is that he prefers to be on the dole for 6 months rather then earn £1000 a week?

I am a plumber, been in business by myself for about 2 years, I work very hard. I advertise in the Yellow Pages (which was one of the worst choices I've made), advertise in local papers and deliver leaflets. If I managed to earn £1000 a week on a regular basis I certainly wouldn't complain. If any of you (and I'm being honest here) could suggest ways of increasing my business I'd love to hear from you.

Life is all about making the most of what you have. If you can't afford the house you want then move to a less expensive area or consider a new career.

Mark

p.s. Just read GRC's message. Looks like I'm not the only one who is amazed at this guy. It surely has to be a wind-up????

Hoi Mark let's discuss something much more interesting, though still relevant if our incredible North Westerner is for real: What happened with the Yellow Pages advertising??

watertight said:
I am a plumber, been in business by myself for about 2 years, I work very hard. I advertise in the Yellow Pages (which was one of the worst choices I've made), advertise in local papers and deliver leaflets.

GRC - Tell us about the downside of Yellow Pages. Please.

Regards, Graham

Chris, not sure that you'd remember my original post, let me re-cap.

Basically, they sold me advertising space in the Leeds & Bradford books, as well as yell.com and talking pages (yes I can here you laughing already).

Basically this cost me £2k, they then went about putting the wrong advert in the Leeds book. Offering me a 25% discount by way of apology.

Took if further and got 80% off, I also cancelled my Bradford advert because of their appalling customer service, it has still cost me the best part of £650. Since then (November) I've probably received about 6 calls as a result of this advertising.

I know I was gullible to fall for their polished salesman talk but I did. I hope if nothing else I am able to stop it happening to others. I just don't understand how such advertising makes money for anyone other than if you provide a service for something that is quite rare, or you pay mega-bucks for a whole page spread!

Funnily enough I went to a job the other day to a little old lady not to far from my home. Last plumber she had got was from the Yellow pages. He advertised under the same STD as me, although he lived about 25 miles away. She has a dripping kitchen tap, he proceeded to replace the whole tap with a standard contract tap (£40 tops) and charged her £220. The number she called was diverted to his number.

By charging serious amounts for advertising I really do believe that unscrupulous tradesmen probably believe they are in the right over charging customers so as to pay for their advertising.

I know some of you may disagree,

Mark

sorry to but in on the plumbers forum chaps, but i too agree with your comments in general, but also about the yellow pages. My companys not been going long and we deceided to go with yellow pages for two ads costing around £600. We gave them it all on a plate, ie wording, layout the logo etc. I was told by the rep, (who i signed the necessary paperwork with) that the proofs would be sent through for approval prior to the november deadline. I waited and waited and waited, then started making phone calls chasing it all up nearer the deadline. £ days before the deadline i was told by the rep that they had given me the wrong rates and it would be another £50 per advert. Now when starting a new business on a tight budget thats a lot of dosh. I told them that i had signed an agreement and i wasnt prepared to pay more, especially the way i had been treated. They wouldnt budge so i told them to stuff it and went for the free one liner ads.
Ive spent the money on the friday ad, where they do very good deals, you can select the area you want and they link to your website. Ive also used all the free ads i can eg thompsons etc, flyers and local church and school type magazines. Seems to pay dividends, but none so more as a happy customer. Ive had a few jobs off of the free advertising in the yellow pages, but i think it covers too big an area and you need a very big ad to make an impact

Thermo,

Sounds like you've experienced the same problems as I did. I provided the Yellow Pages with my own artwork, yet they went ahead with publishing their own and then wanted to charge me £80ish for the privilege.

You're right in saying that the publication covers far to big an area. I was in Thompson last year; that was even worse.

As you said customer recommendation is by far the best.

Mark

the other thing i have found works well is to get some signage made up for your vehicle, especially something on the tailgate or rear window (weve got them in the back of the family car as well) keep it simple with one number and a webpage so people can remember, and make it clear what you do. Its amazing how many people remember ads off of cars, and it amazes me the amount of builders who drive around in vans with nothing on them.
I also got some small banners made up to put in gardens im working on, again with the logo, name and numbers and ask happy customers if they mind having them up for a few weeks.
I also carry a stock of cards and leaflets in the car so if i go in a cafe or supermarket etc i make sure i can put one up.
Anything helps!

many many years ago, we paid for leaflet drops to be done, upon talking to some one else it transpires we had good hit rate, approx 1 call/ 1000 leaflets. (we were having 50,000 leaflet drops a time)

Think about it what do you do when you get a leaflet through your letter box, it suddenly turns from a nice advertising leaflet into junk mail.

Its hard to say what to suggest, what works for some doesn't work for others. i like the idea of the "little bill board" in customers gardens, but leaflets, never again

Just thought I'd add my 0.2c as someone who hires a lot of contractors from all the trades. I only use tradesmen who are referred to me by people I know or referred by good tradesmen that I use myself.

The two plumbers I use for non warranty work are usually booked up 1-2 months ahead. The same applies to two decorators I use and an electrician. I think the bottom line is if you are good at what you do, clean up after you go and polite, etc. you will get lots of referrals and a very busy work diary.

I'd never call someone out of yellow pages. All those ........A1 Plumber type ads.. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back