Beggars belief

Sponsored Links
Send those " officers" to Japan - as little britain`s aid effort :rolleyes: They would probably go into the nuke reactor site - Like the Russian s did @ Chernobyl. little britain - the new Banana Republic :mrgreen:

It's a good job the Chilean miners were not trapped underground in this country. By the time the Health and Safety idiots and Emergency Services :rolleyes: ( joke :LOL: ) spent days/weeks deciding what to do, all the miners would have died.

Fireman ties rope or hose round his waist,wades out and recovers bloke.Any problems and his mates on the bank drag him back....a boy scout could have done better.

Sponsored Links
These supposed emergency workers who refused to go in, should hang their heads in shame. In fact, they should be sacked. No gold plated pension, no redundancy, nothing. It's disgusting that they could allow this to carry on for as long as it did, all in the name of H&S. I've never heard such a poor excuse in my life. How these people can sleep at night is beyond me.

Sorry, to say guys, but haven't you missed something here? let's look at what's claimed:

huge newspaper headlines say man died in 3ft of water because

"More than a dozen emergency workers refused to pull him from a waist-deep boating lake because of ‘health and safety’ fears."

Well the stroy goes on to say

"The crews of two fire engines, two police cars, two ambulances and an air ambulance were told not to enter the lake"

it says there, they were told not to go into the water... i suspect because at that point, they didn't know how deep it was. Plus if they're given orders by their superiors, it doesn't matter if there was a dozen or a million. Rescue teams need to protect the wellbeing of the rescuers first and foremost. It's easy in hindsight to criticize, but in the heat of the moment, it could've seemed like the right thing to do.?

What you lot are doing is pandering to "car crash journalism!!"

The kind of heart rending comments are these:

"but friends claim that if rescuers had waded straight into the water he could have been saved."

But this is emotive blackmail used by the tabloids... ffs in practical terms what value is a friends' claim? well actually nothing really, unless it's submitted to a court as evidence! and in this case it sounded more like wishful thinking, and we'd all feel.

I sorry the guy died, but i don't get suckered by the tabloids manipulation of the facts !!

Fireman ties rope or hose round his waist,wades out and recovers bloke.Any problems and his mates on the bank drag him back....a boy scout could have done better.

I stick by my post above...there was no excuse not to do that,Christ it's simple enough.

it says there, they were told not to go into the water... i suspect because at that point, they didn't know how deep it was.

What's the depth of the water got to do with it. You never seen anyone swimming in the ocean?

OK Martian. Lets say your correct. Over 2 dozen people (among them fire service personnel) were "Told" not to go into the water.
What jobsworth told them? Certainly not a normal compassionate human. This jobsworth had better hope he doesn't fall into a 3ft deep pond then.
And there I thought the emergency services were there to preserve/save lives? If this isn't the case,, then why on earth do we have them? Surely risk is part of their job? If the reduction of risk puts lives in more danger then H&S needs to be looked at. Let's replace it with something called common sense. Surely someone at the scene could have assessed the risk of wading in 3ft of water a bit more sensibly, rather than wait 26 minutes for a water rescue team to recover the person.

Whoever called the emergency services must have explained that a person had fallen in the water. Why didn't they send this team out straight away?
Hmm perhaps just as well the government are cutting down on them then. In this case (and there have been others which have been strikingly similar), the emergency services have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

i agree with imamartian here
we need the facts not the irellevent crud the the daily comic comes up with

someone who is in 3 foot off water face down must have several other factors involved time being the the most negative one not breathing for around 8 mins normally means you are dead
why was he in 3 foot off water several feet out??? if he slipped or had say a heart attack it is to late
why wasn't he rescued by the person reporting the incident ??

the headlines should read
"man dies in unfortunate accident"
a man was found face down in a lake
he was pronounced dead as he had been face down in the water for about 12 mins

it then becomes a body recovery exercise where wet firemen would take the appliance off the road for perhaps a couple off hours whilst they report the incident showered and changed there clothing

I was thinking along the same lines as joinerjohn.

As soon as he was spotted, why didn't one or two of the witness's jump in to get him ?.
It's a boating lake ffs, they could even have jumped in a boat. :idea:
He would have been out before the first copper or fireman even turned up to the scene.

Shameful all round I think.

The person drowned in the water, so why would a rescuer not also die in the recovery?

Big-all if you read the story, you'll see that this poor chap, suffered blackouts following brain surgery.
I understand what your saying though about the people that reported it not doing something, but hey, that's what the emergency services are actually for. How would you like it if your house was on fire and blue watch turn up and decide it's too dangerous to fight and just watch your pad burn to the ground?
What do we pay these emergency services for?

PS, read the article again. he was in the water for at least 26 minutes while the emergency services stood about waiting for two blokes with wet suits on to go in. Perhaps they didn't want to get their uniforms wet and dirty. What with the cutbacks and all, they'd be worried about the laundry bill.
As far as I'm concerned, this incident hasn't exactly shown any of the emergency services in a good light.

Big-all if you read the story, you'll see that this poor chap, suffered blackouts following brain surgery.
I understand what your saying though about the people that reported it not doing something, but hey, that's what the emergency services are actually for. How would you like it if your house was on fire and blue watch turn up and decide it's too dangerous to fight and just watch your pad burn to the ground?
What do we pay these emergency services for?

PS, read the article again. he was in the water for at least 26 minutes while the emergency services stood about waiting for two blokes with wet suits on to go in. Perhaps they didn't want to get their uniforms wet and dirty. What with the cutbacks and all, they'd be worried about the laundry bill.
As far as I'm concerned, this incident hasn't exactly shown any of the emergency services in a good light.

we need to know the actual time he was inactive from first report to attendance if its more than a few mins the he is dead unfortunatlly
i know what you mean by the firemen hanging about lol freightening
my neibours house caught fire 2 years ago and they wouldn't use water till the arcing subsided :rolleyes:

i agree with imamartian here
we need the facts not the irellevent crud the the daily comic comes up with

someone who is in 3 foot off water face down must have several other factors involved time being the the most negative one not breathing for around 8 mins normally means you are dead
why was he in 3 foot off water several feet out??? if he slipped or had say a heart attack it is to late
why wasn't he rescued by the person reporting the incident ??

the headlines should read
"man dies in unfortunate accident"
a man was found face down in a lake
he was pronounced dead as he had been face down in the water for about 12 mins

it then becomes a body recovery exercise where wet firemen would take the appliance off the road for perhaps a couple off hours whilst they report the incident showered and changed there clothing

Totally agree!

The man was lying face down in the lake for x amount of time!

What annoys me the most about this story is the fact that the people who called the emergency services just stood around and watched...and then had the cheek to criticise the emergency services!

You can be pretty certain that those emergency service workers would have jumped in given the chance....its not their fault they have to follow ridiculous procedures!

Sponsored Links
Back