Best Acid cleaner for Sandstone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got quite a bit of sandstone that has been down a little while now, want to freshen it up and remove the rust washed in from soil walked over it.
I have used a diluted acid cleaner and it doesnt damage the stones ( I washed it off quite quickly to be sure)
What is a good cost effective cleaner to buy? the price and quality seems all over the place so looking for suggestions of one that works without spending too much.

Sponsored Links
I haven't used it (yet) but Oxalic acid is meant to be a good stain remover.

It comes in powdered form, you can mix a paste and off you go... you may need to do a bit of reading beforehand, but thought I'd offer it up as a suggestion.
I've bought some to get staining out of an old beam and some old brickwork, not had chance to use it yet though.

It is toxic, so be careful with it. but I will consider it.
Very good for getting the black ink stains out of timber where the tannin + rust = ink.

Sponsored Links
The main point is that I bought as HCl based cleaner a while ago, and it was weak rubbish that did not do much cleaning for the whole bottle. I am looking for recommendations about brands that actually work as expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back