BEST BOILER?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.

I would like some advice please as my old boiler has packed up and I'm looking at a replacement. My current boiler is an Ideal Minimiser FF80 (no, please don't laugh).

Looking at either a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi or a Vaillant ecoTech plus 630 (or the 624/637 depending on the heat output I need - which is being discussed in another thread).

Every BG engineer I have seen in the past 5 or 6 years has groaned when they have seen the boiler that we have got ("more trouble than they are worth" - that kind of thing) and recommended either a Worcester Bosch or a Vaillant boiler.

So, a few questions....

1) Are BG recommending these boilers because they get some kind of kick-back or are they simply good boilers?

2) Are the Worcester Bosch / Vaillant the best boilers (in terms of reliability)?

3) Is one better than the other (last engineer suggested Vaillant were marginally better)?

4) Are there any other reliable makes I ought to consider?

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy New Year 2010

Dave

Sponsored Links
If there was a true answer, this same question would not need to be repeated every day.

I don't think you'd be throwing money away if you went for either of those.

Thanks steady

So, nothing to choose between them then (& none significantly better I guess)?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Not much between them. Vaillant has stainless steel heat exch. which might matter to you. Worcester offer 5 yr warranty as standard if fitted by an approved installer.

Thanks steady

(& none significantly better I guess)?

Dave

Broag Remeha boilers. As good as Vaillant (some will argue), but without the Vaillant price tag.

Whisper quiet, stainless steel heat ex., 5 yr warranty, great hot water flow rate (13 litres per min = great showers) and solid reliable internals.

They had a condenser on the market 20 yrs ago, and also do lots of big industrial stuff, Dutch made. Quality boilers that not many people know about! (no I don't work for them, I just fit them!).

http://www.avantarange.com/28c.html

Thank you steady and Whitespirit

You are the second one to put me on to Remeha Avanta.

I had a look at their web brochure and they look interesting!

Thumb.jpg

Dave

Thanks again Whitespirit

This looks like I get the boiler direct & then get someone (CORGI registered of course) to fit it for me?

Is that what you are suggesting?

Dave

Depends on your installer. Bear in mind that if anything goes wrong with anything that you supply, your installer won't want to get involved.

By general consensus of the forum, best brands are:

Vaillant, decent boiler, worst customer service of all makes

Viessmann, good boiler, good t&c, but company has relatively small presence in UK.

WB CDI, good boiler, best customer service, but hard to work on if something goes wrong.
Is this a general finding of the engineers/installers on this forum?

What about the customer service and servicing of Broag Remeha Avanta boilers in comparison?

I seem to have compiled a shortlist of 4 boilers to consider:

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi (or the 24i System boiler)
- but the CDi is a better boiler??

Vaillant ecoTech plus 624 System Boiler

Remeha Avanta 24s System Boiler

or the

Viessmann Vitodens 100 WBIA or WBIB (what is the difference?)

A couple of replies to earlier posts have said that Worcester Bosch and Vaillant have 5 yr guarantees, but their website only says 2 yrs. Which is correct - the posters or the website?? Or is this dependent on who installs it?

Looking at the SAP ratings:

SAPRatings.jpg

The Vaillant ecoTech plus 624 seems to be the one to go for?

Dave

Looking at the SAP ratings:

SAPRatings.jpg

The Vaillant ecoTech plus 624 seems to be the one to go for?
But Sedbuk say this on the first page of the database:

Boiler efficiency tests are subject to a degree of measurement uncertainty. Consequently small differences in the efficiency values calculated from them are not significant and should not be relied on when comparing boilers. Statistical analysis suggests that if two boilers have SEDBUK values 3 percentage points apart then there is 95% confidence that the boiler with the higher value is more efficient.

So there is no significant difference between any of the boiler you list. In fact there is no significant difference between any A rated boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back