Best External Wood Paint - Garden Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garden building which is about 7 years old, its not really made of the most rot resistant wood so I have had to do a bit of maintenance.
Last year I made a new window frame I quickly painted it with Cuprinol Garden shades, but the whole south side is looking very tired mainly because the suns UV has battered the paint on that side, the others look almost as they did 7 years ago.

That Cuprinol is very thin paint and whilst it provides some water protection I don't feel its anywhere near as good as the paint originally used when it was built. I'm looking for a good paint in "US Airforce Grey", I don't want it any darker than that because that will make the place too warm in direct sun.
So far Sadolin wood sheild seemed a better paint, but its only in 3 colours.

Anyone have any good recommendations - ideally I'd like another 7 years out of it!

Sponsored Links
I had a large (5x4 metres) garden room installed in 2019 and it came with a large quantity of light grey Sikkens Rubbol Primer Plus and light grey Rubbol Satura topcoat, for me to paint myself. A hell of a job but I did it and four years later it is still looking very good. I did use some Owatrol with the topcoat. Only managed one coat of Satura rather than the two recommended, but this year or next I will give it a second for good measure, although there seem to be no faded or weathered patches. I've always rated Sikkens products. Obviously first make sure the substrate is good and fix if not.

The Sikkens colour is ON:00:60. Google it and see if it is close to US Airforce Grey. Er, Gray. Being the US and all that.

Its close enough. I had a look round various places and all the paint is waterbased and about as thick as semiskimmed. I remember when paint on sheds was so thick that if the wood rotted away, the paint became the shed. Is that all gone now?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean "as thick as semiskimmed" but I used Owatrol with Sikkens Satura partly because the latter - which is oil-based - was quite thick and Owatrol made it easier to apply. Of course it also made the Satura go further but given the price of the Owatrol - indeed the price of both - that really wasn't a factor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back