Best heat insulating wall vents for combi boiler central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, we have a combi boiler which heats our radiators. Lovely. The only thing is we have big vents around the house which are just gaps in the brick, with an air brick on the outside and a sheet of metal on the inside. You can really feel how much colder it is where the vents are.

So we like ventilation and it's important, especially as we have older style double glazed windows which don't appear to be vented. However I'd really like to improve our insulation, particually in the bathroom as the extractor fan is basically screwed onto a big hole in the wall which you can see through. We also have an open fire place (which we don't use) in our living room.

SO, what are the my best options for improving heat insulation and cutting out drafts but also staying safe.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
By "open fire place" do you mean there's a fire there or has it been removed ? Most modern combi's (not all) don't require ventilation depending on where they are fitted. Whats the make/model of your boiler ?

Any open fireplace should have the chimney blocked up if it is not used. That can be rolled up newspapers or you can buy balloon kind of things. Fully closing them can give damp problems and it is usually better to have a continuing very small air flow.

But NEVER block the chimney of any gas fire unless it has been capped off!

If you have hit and miss ventilators in the house then just closing them should be enough and they will be available during the summer for ventilation.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hey everyone, boiler is a glow worm 30 cxi, and here are a few pictures of our (unused) fire place DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG and vents. DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0013.JPG

Are there any easy to install and safe ways I can make these more insulated? I know we like safe ventilation and damp prevention but these parts of the house get really noticably cold.

Cheers.

The gan can be replaced with one with auto slats.

But your's may already have then on the outside!

You could close the lower photo one!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back