1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best metal to metal binding compound without weld

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by Branny68, 15 Feb 2017.

Tags:
  1. Branny68

Branny68

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have well and truly screwed (literally) a fixing on my land rover to attach the roof bars.

I've snapped off a screw in the hole and whilst trying to remove it by a mixture of ez-out and drilling I now have a second screw snapped off and a snapped drill bit and a snapped ez-out bit stuck in there.

So I am giving that up as a bad job for now and opting for a different method of attaching the final (non load bearing) end of my roof bar.

I want to attach (without welding, which would damage the paint work) a nut just above the original hole and screw my bolt into that.

I was wondering if there were any tried and tested metal to metal adhesives that anyone had tried and would recommend?

Cheers

2. Sponsored Links
  3. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 15 Feb 2017
  4. Branny68

Branny68

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    unfortunately i'm not able to use these as I cannot now get a hole in the place they need to go. The hardened steel will be nye on impossible to bore out

5. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd be a bit concerned about your roof bars becoming detached here.....any chance of a pic?
    True, you'll not drill snapped off bits but it could be possible to drill down along side and pick the debris out.
    John :)

6. Branny68

Branny68

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I can get a pic when it's light. I'm never going to attach anything to the roof bars at the point of this fixing. It just needs securing a little stronger that a clip (current). the roof bars are attached with 3 other screws so they are secure. It's a real pain, but this is a temporary fix until I can bring myself to take it to the shop and get it fixed properly which will involve some sort of heat welding the original mount off for a replacement

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Belle427

Belle427

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. Branny68

Branny68

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    cool, cheers. I will give that a try

10. alan333

alan333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  11. Branny68

Branny68

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So, after trying jb-weld. the first bond didn't hold. It has been pretty cold outside. I left it 24 hrs and it popped off 2 mins later after fixing my mount.

I thought it might be down to the cold and the time I left it, so tried again with a little more patience. 48hrs and same result. I decided enough was enough and took it to a welders who has spot welded the nut in place. It took about 10 minutes and cost me £20. I now have piece of mind that it is securely fixed. Cheers for everyone's suggestions.

12. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A good move....these compounds are great for gap filling in cracked castings and so on but they have little tensile strength.
    John :)