Best metal to metal binding compound without weld

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have well and truly screwed (literally) a fixing on my land rover to attach the roof bars.

I've snapped off a screw in the hole and whilst trying to remove it by a mixture of ez-out and drilling I now have a second screw snapped off and a snapped drill bit and a snapped ez-out bit stuck in there.

So I am giving that up as a bad job for now and opting for a different method of attaching the final (non load bearing) end of my roof bar.

I want to attach (without welding, which would damage the paint work) a nut just above the original hole and screw my bolt into that.

I was wondering if there were any tried and tested metal to metal adhesives that anyone had tried and would recommend?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
unfortunately i'm not able to use these as I cannot now get a hole in the place they need to go. The hardened steel will be nye on impossible to bore out

I'd be a bit concerned about your roof bars becoming detached here.....any chance of a pic?
True, you'll not drill snapped off bits but it could be possible to drill down along side and pick the debris out.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I can get a pic when it's light. I'm never going to attach anything to the roof bars at the point of this fixing. It just needs securing a little stronger that a clip (current). the roof bars are attached with 3 other screws so they are secure. It's a real pain, but this is a temporary fix until I can bring myself to take it to the shop and get it fixed properly which will involve some sort of heat welding the original mount off for a replacement

So, after trying jb-weld. the first bond didn't hold. It has been pretty cold outside. I left it 24 hrs and it popped off 2 mins later after fixing my mount.

I thought it might be down to the cold and the time I left it, so tried again with a little more patience. 48hrs and same result. I decided enough was enough and took it to a welders who has spot welded the nut in place. It took about 10 minutes and cost me £20. I now have piece of mind that it is securely fixed. Cheers for everyone's suggestions.

A good move....these compounds are great for gap filling in cracked castings and so on but they have little tensile strength.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back