Joining 2 bits of metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My aerial snapped off, the bit of metal that connected the aerial to its housing sheered off leaving a bit of metal in the aerial and a bit in the housing. I have managed to drill it out of the aerial and out of the housing, unfortunately there is no thread left.

I now need to find myself a small peice of metal (like a bolt without the end) and push one end into the aerial and the other into the housing to make the connection. Ideally I would hold both ends in place with a blob of weld or solder, unfortunately I don't have either. I need a glue for metal! Probably doesn't exist.

Has anyone got any bright ideas? I don't want to remove half the interior of my van to sort this out.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Time for a bit of thought here....there is a possibility that you could tap out the aerial and its mount up to the next metric size - i.e 4mm thread becomes 5, 5mm becomes 6, 6mm becomes 8. It depends on how much of the parent metal is remaining.
Araldite adhesive will cheerfully stick metals together - I guess your aerial shaft is made from aluminium so that won't solder, and welding isn't appropriate here. The thing is, you will need some sort of dowel peg plus adhesive to join these bits properly - but Araldite is an electrical insulator so you'll have to be very sparing where you put it!
Taking the head lining down in your van is a bit of a chore but it could be the best way to go.
John :)

What make and model of van is it? On some vans the aeriel is easily accessible through the interior light and if not, the headcloth shouldn't be a problem.
Is there any of the threaded part of the mast sticking out?
You can buy a new mast for peanuts. You can also buy a complete new aeriel for a few peanuts more.

Thanks for your help. I have a Vauxhaul Combo 1.4tdi 55 plate. You can see by the photo what is left on the roof, looking from the inside of the van there is a ceiling panel covering the area, looks like a major job to tackle it from the inside. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
wire-hanger-de-96752663.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

isnt the interior light just under there, If so, Im pretty sure its just pop the light out, one bolt, and bobs your uncle.

glue for metal does absolutely exist..

go check in your local DIY store plumbing section.. they make some stuff for gluing copper pipes together.. not entirely sure if it's electrically conductive though, or it it works with any metal other than copper.. but it's worth a look..

I asked for bright ideas and you've given me plenty to think about, I'm sure I will get there now.

Many thanks.

Having had a look around, I found conductive epoxy, but at nearly £25 for a syringe full, I figured you'd need a somewhat more cost effective solution...

Go onto ebay and search for "Wire Glue Conductive".

Use this for the central metal core at either end of the post. This will give you the electrical connection you need between the aerial and the base.

For strength, I suggest you use a strong epoxy adhesive around the metal core to give it a good chance of not falling off at speed. Beware though, from my memory, epoxy resin may crack under extremes of temperature (cold particularly), so a different adhesive might be a good idea..... Have you considered a very small bracket (strip of metal) with some very small screws at either end right at the front of the aerial - of course,still using the conductive glue to connect the post to either end?

By the way, the reason you can get talk sport is because thats on Medium Wave, and that aerial is inside the radio. The aerial on the roof which has snapped is for FM only. Cheers.

you could of course just use a roll pin of the right size..

should squeeze into the hole and hold it ok..

the tapping idea it the best though.. if there's enough metal left to tap..

Attaching anything to the bits you have left is only going to increase the inpedence to the radio, and blow it up.

Just replace it all. Scrapyards often have the parts required, so you can rip it apart, and learn how to fit it back together properly.

The internal roof in these vans is modular, so comes off in one piece, as opposed to the glued, studded, old fashioned type of roof, so pretty straightforward job, and cheap.

Or just bypass the aerial, fit a new one, run it up to radio, job done.

Sponsored Links
Back