best multi function tester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone advise on the best multifunction tester at present.I've noticed Kew Tech are very reasonably priced.Also what is the difference between getting a 17th ed to a 16th ed tester I can't see the difference as obviously they usually test to 1000v?Any help advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
At work we have the Metrel Easitest and its sh*te ! Ive used the Megger 1552 i think thats the number and it was quite good.

Meggar Meggar Meggar.

Fluke if they could sort the leads out, and make the EFL test a little quicker.

I've been using metrel easitest / instaltest testers for years, and really like them.

I don't like the fluke MFTs, but swear by their test probes. The EFL test really does take forever!

I've no real experience with modern meggar MFTs

Are you in the trade, or looking to get into it?

Do you know anyone in the trade who may let you have a go with their tester to see what you think?

I think it really comes down to personal preference. They all do the same tests when all is said and done.

AFAIK, the only difference between 16th and 17th edition testers is the 17th ed testers should be able to perform a 0.2mS trip test on RCDs

S'pose it is like asking what brand of car to buy :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Depends on your price range.

For my money (even though the company supplied it!) I like the Alphatek 61557.

AFAIK, the only difference between 16th and 17th edition testers is the 17th ed testers should be able to perform a 0.2mS trip test on RCDs

0.2ms RCD trip test?

I'm not totally familiar with BS7671:2008, not even got the book as the ECA haven't got their backsides into gear yet and sent it out :(

0.2ms RCD trip test?

I'm not totally familiar with BS7671:2008, not even got the book as the ECA haven't got their backsides into gear yet and sent it out :(

Bump for info regarding this 0.2ms RCD trip test :)

GaryMo";p="849939 said:
GaryMo";p="849262 said:
Bump for info regarding this 0.2ms RCD trip test :)

BS7671:2008 reduces the standard disconnection time from 0.4s to 0.2s for TT systems, a note under the table says that these times relate to residual fault currents significantly higher than the rated residual operating current of the device. (edit: and specify 2x rated residual opperating current as the figure they have in mind)

The natural conconclusion to be drawn is that RCDs should be tested at 2x to ensure they operate faster than 200ms, until we get the new GN3 we can't be 100%, but I'd say if you tested at 1x and 5x and the result was sub 0.2 for both, then there is no reason a 2x reading would not also be sub 200ms, I heard a rumour that the first admendment might change things in this area as well, so its a case of holding on and seeing

The way the standard times are applied has now changed, the standard time is for all final circuits of 32A or less, with the exception (5s on TN, 1s on TT) applying to distribution circuits and other circuits not cominging within the scope of the standard table (so that would be final circuits in excess of 32A)

Wonder where all these companies selling 17th edition compliant meters will stand? :rolleyes:

Ive got the Megger MFT1553 and it serves my purpose. The bluetooth function is useless to me since my iphone wont work with it, but its handy with the laptop for filling out forms quick

At work we use both the Fluke and the Meggar MFT, but most prefer to use the meggar mainly due to it being quicker on the ELI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back