Best perfroming Low Modulus sanitary silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a new cast stone based shower .... and as usual sealed with "Dow Corning 785 acetoxy silicone" The shower is fitted in an alcove lined with Respatex sheets, on several other showers still great after more than 10 year.
However - after less than 6 months the silicone has peeled off where it was attached to Respatex ... still stuck to shower tray. It is a clean line so looks like an adhesion problem.
There is slight tray movement, but no more than you would expect. (less than 2mm)
Obviously suspicious of using Dow 785 again, anbody any particular advice on which product is best performing Low-Modlulus (i.e, good elasticity) and contains a fungicide.

Not sure whether to use silicone remover to clean it right out or just cut out section that has peeled.

Sponsored Links
Can't really help you with anti-fungal silicone but what I do know is that the Soudal low mod silicone is very good gear.

Were the surfaces good and clean before sealing? I would recommend a solvent cleaner to ensure no oils or grease are on the surfaces.

Sponsored Links
I used normal practice of cleaning fully with Meths .... never had a problem before ... obviously can never be 100% certain it was not a cleaning issue - but meths deff used.

Considering cutting out 'de-adhered' length, then cleaning with silicone cleaner ... can you use this in wipe -on wipe-off mode ?

So as not to impact the 3 sides of tray unaffected .... for example the piece that has come unstuck is in middle of 1.2m long run .... only about 300mm affected .... was going to remove that back to where it is still well 'stuck' (+overlap) and just replace that.

Or will putting silicone remover near it mean all of silicone on all 4 sides will have to be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back