Best Place to buy a selection of screws in a box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the worst DIY'er in the world (seriously)

One thing that I blame is my lack of equipment including screws. I have an old tub with about 30 screws in, all different shapes and sizes. Doing anything is a mission as I have to just see what's there.

Are there any places which sell a good selection of them, maybe in an organised box with the sizes printed on them? I know Wickes, Homebase, Screwfix all have different options but to varying degrees.

I'm looking at a fairly generic selection, good for round the home, hanging curtain rails, fixing a fence, etc. that kind of thing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy yourself an empty box then go to B&Q who do a self serve mixed bags deal in different sizes at a fixed price.
You will still never have THAT screw you need though :D

I used to buy screw selections and found most of them either weren't needed, or there were not enough: now if I need some screws I will buy a box of 200. Quality is important, as the heads of cheaper ones shear off.

That said Spax do a selection with a good range of the more commonly used fixings.

Blup

I use reissers, but they're expensive.
Screwfix do their version which is not bad at all and it's cheaper (turbo silver or turbo gold I think, ultra if you want stainless steel)
Here is what i use the most
3.5x25mm
4x30mm
4x50mm
5x50mm
5x80mm
5x100mm

All the rest is just occasional use.

Mind you, I use them mostly for wood, if you need screws for wall fixing, just get the cheaper single or twin thread screws.

Sponsored Links
Pop into Wilkinson’s , for £3 they let you fill a small polythene bag with any size screws, hooks etc in their range.

Thanks everyone, some really good suggestions. I have the exact same question about rawl plugs too so you've given me lots of ideas now.

I saw an empty box thing in Homebase the other day which would be ideal for screws and plugs, so I'll go and pick that up tomorrow

I have a long shelf stacked with boxes of screws, a 4L icecream tub filled with mixed screws and a 4' square shelf with plastic drawers, several of which contain left-overs from jobs. Often, I still don't have the right screw for the job. If I need a dozen, I just order up a 200 box, unless it is something special.

Thanks everyone, some really good suggestions. I have the exact same question about rawl plugs too so you've given me lots of ideas now.
Plugs are a little easier. For carpentry installation you drill 7mm holes, use brown (7mm) plugs and screws are 4.5, 5.0 and 6.0mm. For lighter stuff you drill 5.5mm holes, use red (5.5mm) plugs and screws are 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5mm. There are other sizes of plugs and screws, but frankly in this context you could regard them as "special purpose"

I saw an empty box thing in Homebase the other day which would be ideal for screws and plugs, so I'll go and pick that up tomorrow

After you have filled it up, you will accidentally knock it on the floor, and all the screws will get mixed up.

Except the ones you stand on, barefoot.

No idea. :)
A bugle increases pressure pressure

It seems double CS improves countersink formation!?! But I do that by driving them in a bit harder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back