Best place to buy wood/timber...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A simple question, now I've turned my back on B&Q and their rip off prices, I'm interested to know where people get their timber?

I'm only looking for domestic quantity, nothing in bulk. The kind of thing I'm looking to do is box pipework in, build cabinets in alcoves etc...

Am I looking at somewhere like Travis Perkins, or Hancock & Brown?

Open to suggestions...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think they sell online.
I live beside them.

Sponsored Links
any good timber merchant in the area should do, look them up in the phone book or online list for your ares, then give them a phone with your query. You can always ask us here for the proper terminology if your stuck...pinenot :)

They're still big, but they're not B&Q...

I used to buy from Keyline amd would pick them every time.
Unfortunately, I don't have one close by me so my next recommendation would be Wickes. For timber, I find them around 1/3 the price of B&Q.

Almost any of your local timber yards will supply whatever timber you want. Certainly this will be better quality than the fast grown stuff that the sheds sell (and possibly cheaper). ;) ;)

Having somewhere local/handy can far outweigh the prices of items.

We use whatever supplier is nearest when 'topping up'.

However, if you are in it for the long term, you will need a builders merchant that is reasonably priced, fairly local and that you build up a good rapport with them.

For example - although my local family run b.m is not the cheapest, they do allow me excellent concessions regards preferential delivery times, preferential access to certain scarce materials etc. This far outweighs the prices difference.

Loyalty does pay. It's why i can't stand big sheds and web based suppliers though i do use the likes of B&Q, Wickes etc, when working close to one if i need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back