Best Routers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I am after a decent router to add to my kit. I would like one man enough to cut worktops should the need arise.

I heard Trend were good but I thought I would ask the experts :)

Sponsored Links
Festools if you got money to throw around :LOL:

Any decent brand 1/2" router should be man enough. Whats your budget?

idealy you need a 1800w 1/2" router for worktops
you can manage with as low as 1400w but you will need more passes and more cutters

if you are fully diy or light trade then ryobi will fit your bill perfectly

i would also suggest your better off with at least 2 routers a 1600w plus for the heavy stuff and a 600w plus for the lighter stuff
getting a 1400w as a compromise will neither be good for worktops or lighter work

Sponsored Links
you can manage with as low as 1400w but you will need more passes and more cutters

i would also suggest your better off with at least 2 routers a 1600w plus for the heavy stuff and a 600w plus for the lighter stuff
getting a 1400w as a compromise will neither be good for worktops or lighter work

Never trust a man who has a power devil :LOL:

Never trust a man who has a power devil :LOL:

what this one :D
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop008.jpg

several years ago it was the only router for under £80 at £45
i needed another router to go beside my hitachi mv12 1850 monster ;)

I had a Bosch p60?, 1/4" DIY type smashing little job, used it continously for 20+ years, burnt the thing out doing kitchen work surfaces. Too hasty, too deep a cut etc. I then bought a JCB 1/2" from Argos. Its rubbish, the cutter is not centralised in the hole in the base so when working from jigs you can get up to 2mm error in cutter alignment. Also the springs for the "plunge" were so stiff they actually broke the casting inside the machine, so I took them out. Its also V heavy but this might be typical for a 1800W machine. I looked at the Ryobi on fleabay but its 3/8" collet leaves one a bit short of available bits to fit it.
Frank

V heavy but this might be typical for a 1800W machine. I looked at the Ryobi on fleabay but its 3/8" collet leaves one a bit short of available bits to fit it.
Frank

the old 1150 ryobi is definatly a 1/2" router [i have one]as will any above that power be in the ryobi range although at 1150w would not be sutable for more than the occasional worktops as you will have to do so many passes that you will need twice as many router cutters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back