Best sockets and switches to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an extension about to start in the new year, so looking at getting new sockets and light switches in the extension and replacing the existing ones to match.

Been told to avoid cheap stuff like LAP, but equally stuff like Hamilton are expensive. Not fussed about having integrated usb, some lights will be on a dimmer but would probably like brushed steel/stainless steel downstairs and white upstairs.

What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
ask 100 electricians and you will get 100+ answers! I have been using the scolmore click range from toolstation lately and cant fault them especially the light switches which allow different types of switch in the same plate

IMO, Crabtree are best.

Click are very good too, and I agree with the comment about not faulting them and how good the light switches are.

MK isn't what it used to be, but I like the look of their range.

Don't bother with BG, their stuff seems to fail quickly IME.

Hamilton is over-rated, and I find their socket terminals a bit awkward.

Avoid light switches with square terminals - I find if you have multiple wires, some slip out every time.

Sponsored Links
Been told to avoid cheap stuff like LAP, but equally stuff like Hamilton are expensive. .... What would you recommend?
Although many/most electricians will have their own ideas/preferences (sometimes strongly held/voiced) I honestly think it's more down to your personal view of aesthetics than anything else.

In my (large) house, I have a mixture of expensive and 'dirt cheap' accessories and, after 35+ years, virtually none have 'failed', nearly all of the few replacements having been die to mechanical damage (by humans), for which I can't blame the accessory!

Kind Regards, John

Although many/most electricians will have their own ideas/preferences (sometimes strongly held/voiced) I honestly think it's more down to your personal view of aesthetics than anything else.

In my (large) house, I have a mixture of expensive and 'dirt cheap' accessories and, after 35+ years, virtually none have 'failed', nearly all of the few replacements having been die to mechanical damage (by humans), for which I can't blame the accessory!

Kind Regards, John
It's surprising how good the cheaper, lesser brands can sometimes be.

Reactions: CBW
It's surprising how good the cheaper, lesser brands can sometimes be.
Indeed - as I said, in my house they have done no worse than the most expensive ones -so, in my case, all I've got by paying more is 'a name' :)

Kind Regards, John

My suggestion is first make a list of exactly what you need. Then select a make/style that you like and make sure that you can get everything you have on your list from that range.
Several times I’ve been on large projects and there’s been a big hiccup because the chosen range doesn’t include a particular media plate, or an FCU with a cable outlet, etc. to match the fancy sockets.
Remember that some sockets, switches (flat plate is bad for this) need deeper boxes. So you may need to check what’s in your walls!

As for makes, I agree to avoid budget ranges. Most others are reliable.

My suggestion is first make a list of exactly what you need. Then select a make/style that you like and make sure that you can get everything you have on your list from that range.
Several times I’ve been on large projects and there’s been a big hiccup because the chosen range doesn’t include a particular media plate, or an FCU with a cable outlet, etc. to match the fancy sockets.
Remember that some sockets, switches (flat plate is bad for this) need deeper boxes. So you may need to check what’s in your walls!

Good idea, I'll go room by room and decide what switches and sockets will be needed. Hopefully that will narrow down my search and force my direction

That's the 'traditional wisdom'. However, as I've said, I've personally had no reliability problems with the dirt cheap ones I have amongst my much more expensive ones, so (at least in terms of my personal experience), I'm not convinced that the view/advice is necessarily particularly 'evidence based'.

As I often say, the same (in my experience) in relation to LED lamps/bulbs.

Kind Regards, John

MK up to the 80s was solid. The early Logic Plus was OK, but IMO not as good as previous gens, and has nose dived since then. Dunno if they still do them, but MK gave up using the pendants fitted with Nettle/ Delta lampholders (really solid bits of kit) and started packing cheap Far East lighting accessories as their own. I used to buy the same stuff from Denmans for literally pennies.

As a DIYer
I like the crabtree for fitting, reliability and mid price and I use these.

I have been impressed by the Schneider.

But, (I feel) the distinctive shape of MK due to its history creates (for some) an impression of 'quality' and 'expense not spared' on a build. And might in some case leave a lasting impression or say accelerate sale of a property.

SFK

IMO this is a place where the likes of MK and Scholmore (aka Click) shine. They offer pretty much every accessory in every finish. Schlmore also seem to have the broadest range of modular stuff I have ever seen with at least 3 different modular ranges that have considerable overlap in features (and are all available in the broad range of finishes)

But, (I feel) the distinctive shape of MK due to its history creates (for some) an impression of 'quality' and 'expense not spared' on a build. And might in some case leave a lasting impression or say accelerate sale of a property.
I suspect that may be true, but primarily as an indication of how daft some people can be. For one's decision as to whether or not to buy a property to be on the basis of the shape of the electrical accessories seems, what can I say, a little 'odd' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back