Best tool to undo flexi under a sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, one of the flexis under the bathroom sink has sprung a leak along its length above the lower nut. there is almost no room to get in to undo it. the flexi has been there about 25 years, so expecting it to be difficult to undo.
Any particular spanner I should buy to get at the nut up where I can barely see it as access is not great either, and dont fancy taking sink off the unit to get access to under the tap (monoblock)

Sponsored Links
the closest to the look of the flexi is this one:
but I am sure it is a smaller connector up on the tap. bathroom currently occupied will try and take a photo later.
the fitting I can get to is about 22mm af for the flexi and the pipe fitting it connects to, it is leaking from the top of the crimp that connects to the plumbing.

We know what flexible hoses look like ,what we need to see is the access ,or lack of it, that you are facing.
Is your flexible hose a flexible tap connector ,that screws into the tap body ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the two tails go directly into the tap body, at the end where it joins the rest of the plumbing it has a fitting with a rubber seal, and not a compression fitting so most of the ones I have seen on screwfix and toolstation are not suitable, that was the bit I was trying to help with until I can get a picture done.
This seems a closer match?
but still not sure it is the right one to buy. I am going to be working under the sink inside the two door cabinet underneath, and I cannot see there will be room to turn a spanner up in the gap between the wall mounting part and the rear of the basin, also has the overflow running down next to the tap itself.

You will of course need to unscrew the Flexi tap connector from the tap body. That can be quite difficult to do ,or may unscrew easily, sometimes needing the tap to be removed from the sink.
Those connectors with a rubber seal and captive nut ,which it appears yours are, are usually quite easy to loosen ,once a spanner has initially loosened it by half a turn ,can often be unscrewed after that by hand.

Well here are two pics, I have the horizontal cabinet support in the way too, but would really really like to leave the sink in place.

IMG_20240317_185246.jpg
IMG_20240317_185232.jpg

Looks like there is plenty of room to put a spanner on those

exactly, its the tap end that has to come off one of those, I already undid the leaking one and replaced the rubber as it was looking quite collapsed, but still leaking and then noticed the water coming out at the top of the left hand crimp in the top
picture. It would be a pain to take the sink off the wall and cupboard unit just to do that single flexi change. not sure how to get access with a wrench or spanner to the underneath of the tap.

You need a box spanner to loosen the tap, Once the 2 flexis are undone at the other end the tap can be removed from the basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back