Best TV Brand?

LG puts me off, as they have adverts in their programme guides.
Had a Samsung for about 5 years which was OK (not smart) then had a Sony (smart) that was awful with terrible software glitches all the time (about 5 years), now have an LG no glitches whatsoever, had about 3 software updates since we've had it (6 months) very intuitive, all good so far and absolutely no adverts in the programme guide

Sponsored Links
Have had a Sony for ages. It's a great pic and sound but the software is painfully slow and as mentioned above, their customer service is non existent. They simply refuse to believe anything could be wrong! Doubt I'd get another one and certainly not without trying it out first

Get yourself to Curry's and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Panasonic - But as already mentioned may not be within budget - I have a couple of panasonic TVs - they often win awards (if that counts for anything)
Samsung are also quite good
The panels are only made by a few manufactures anyway

you seem to have chosen a make based on various preferences anyway
That leaves Panasonic, which is handy as I fancy an Android TV with Freeview Play.

then there is the room you are viewing in , and the screen technology

you dont say what size of TV you are after
Or the location
Is there a Richer Sounds near your location

panasonic that seems to be on the site within the £500

A lot of the pioneer technology went into Panasonic when they purchased the TV side of the business and also the engineers - but that was a few years ago now

LG seem to have had a bad reputation for reliability and being expensive and a pig to fix.

Was that ever the case? Is it still?

LG seem to have had a bad reputation for reliability and being expensive and a pig to fix.

Was that ever the case? Is it still?

1. Is it likely to go wrong? No, would be my response.
2. You'll get 2 or 3 years guarantee anyway iirc, for that price point (EU?)
3. Sad to say, but consumer goods are throw away anyway.

Provided you don't leave it on standby (burns out the power supply eventually), I don't see any reason for getting less than five years out of it, more likely it will still be fine when you're ready for the next shiny thing.

Why anyone ever buys a TV anywhere except JL or Richer Sounds with their great warranty's is beyond me. Anyone recommending Currys needs to be stood in front of a firing line.

a lot of companies now give longer warranties - John Lewis give a 5year warranty , which i have used on laptops when they had 2 year in 2nd year , very good
and richer sounds gave 5year, seems to be 6year now if you sign up to the VIP program

I have always purchased TV from JL and also Laptops etc because of the warranty , and used to recommend a lot of people to JL for Desktop Pcs and laptops which i setup for them

I would be careful of Currys - I have been there quite a few times when the assistant has no idea on some of the TV spec and function and one I believed lied to an elderly couple to just make a sale - which i overheard and reported to the manager ....... who then took over the sales to the couple ......and clarified the spec and internet requirements for Catchup - which the original guy said was not needed for catchup - that was maybe 5-8years ago now

1. Is it likely to go wrong? No, would be my response.
2. You'll get 2 or 3 years guarantee anyway iirc, for that price point (EU?)
3. Sad to say, but consumer goods are throw away anyway.

Provided you don't leave it on standby (burns out the power supply eventually), I don't see any reason for getting less than five years out of it, more likely it will still be fine when you're ready for the next shiny thing.
Both of my previous TVs have gone wrong, one outside of warranty the other about a month before it expired (5 years) TVs absolutely do not last very long.

you seem to have chosen a make based on various preferences anyway

then there is the room you are viewing in , and the screen technology

you dont say what size of TV you are after
Or the location
Is there a Richer Sounds near your location
Well, I guess I'm limited if I want a Freeview Play TV running Android.

The room is a lounge which is really well lit during the day by a huge picture window.

We tend to watch at night with some overhead lighting.

The current Samsung TV is a 48" (I guess LED). It was on special offer around Christmas 2014. I was in hospital with a really smashed up broken leg and wanted to get it as a treat. It was from Richer Sounds (there is a branch in Stockport) and it was just under £500.

I'll dig out the model number.

I would go for a small increase in size, 50" or 55" maybe.

I want to be sure I can download various apps that will not be pre-installed and want to be able to use Android phones to cast to the TV. I would think most if not all TVs can do this these days, but I know TVs running Android certainly can. I think some have Chromecast built in.

whats wrong with the existing TV
I have a 32" panasonic - maybe 10-12 years old now
I use a apple TV box to cast and use apps - along with a humax PVR (with Apps) - so dont really use the smart part of the TV

The TV is also in a well lite room, and we have been discussing recently getting a larger TV and moving to a different location

We have a 24" panasonic purchased only a few years ago - which seems to work well, although we had a message about not supporting one of the TV app channels - cant remember now the details - in the bedroom and used occasionally

I have been told LED is better for a lite room, whereas OLED, does not like direct light - like windows on them - BUT yet to prove any of that , maybe sales talk

I’m praying for my Panasonic to pack up so that I can get a new one. I thought I’d struck lucky last year when it developed a green stripe going from top to bottom but it cured itself. :evil:

Both of my previous TVs have gone wrong, one outside of warranty the other about a month before it expired (5 years) TVs absolutely do not last very long.
I suppose experience colours one's judgment.

Most people who owned a Leyland car had reliability issues. I have owned many and never suffered any major issues.

I have 2 Samsung TVs. The newer one has had much more use and has in the last year developed a fault where 3 LEDs are shining through. The older lesser used one is still running perfectly. Both can no longer update and have lost some apps like My 5 and ITV Hub (now ITVx) and I can no longer cast films to them.
They are both LED TVs.

The lounge one is UE48H5500: 2014 48"

The other is UE40F5500: 2013 40"

Mottie: Would you go for Panasonic again?

Sponsored Links
Back