Best TV Brand?

Happy with the Samsung from JL except they gave the european model so have to set the channels up each time (just a couple of butons to press), but devious of them not to disclose. Good quality picture and sound and £800 for a 50 inch not bad value.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Going back a few years, Samsung and LG used different LCD technology. One would give a wider viewing angle, whilst the other would give better contrast. I don't know if that is still the situation.

When I took my dad to buy a new TV about five years ago, in the price range he was looking at, only the Sony had a wired headphone socket. Also, it was the only one where you could choose to have the sound coming through the speakers and the headphones at the same time.

LG puts me off, as they have adverts in their programme guides.

I have three LG's here, between 2 and 3 years old, all working fine and firmware regularly updated. I don't really understand what you mean by 'they have adverts in their programme guides'?

The program guide is just a list of what is on at the time you look at the guide, and what is due to be on.

Regarding some LG TVs, Which? complains of "Too many ads and trailers in the smart menu."

Sponsored Links
I would go for a small increase in size, 50" or 55" maybe.

I think most Freeview channels are still broadcast in Standard Definition. They can look awful if the TV is too big for the viewing distance.

Our current 48" Samsung picture quality is OK.

Do you think a 50 or 55" panel will mean a deteriorated image?

To some extent although not entirely, these type of questions are pointless. What I mean by that is luck, if you want to call it that, has a part to play. Years (decades) ago, my auntie bought a Zanussi washing machine. She loved it and extolled to my mum about how great it was. So when my mum was buying her first automatic washing machine she bought a Zanussi. Loved it. Her second one was also a Zanussi, again she loved it. No issues. In more recent years yes she's moved away from that brand, partly due to more competitively priced alternatives and also she does less washing these days, much less.

However one time when she was talking to a work colleague about washing machines, the colleague was surprised to hear my mum sing Zanussi's praises. 'I had two of them' the colleague said 'the first had no end of faults so they replaced it, however the second one wasn't much better.'

The same experiences broadly hold true across most if not all product purchases.

I bought my second TV on the strength of what the beeb used as monitors at the time - Sony Triniton. Presently have 2, 10 year + Sony flat screens. With new flat screen I'm not sure what I'd replace those with - maybe see if you can see a name on a studio monitor during the news or similar progs.

Call me picky, but I think it would pee me off

Ads and trailers in the settings menu would pee me off as well!

Our current 48" Samsung picture quality is OK.

Do you think a 50 or 55" panel will mean a deteriorated image?

I've been looking at this chart, which seems to correspond quite well with my experience. My head is almost exactly 12 feet from our 49 inch TV and I can just about notice the difference between Freeview SD (576 vertical) and Freeview HD (1080 vertical). But I can't tell the difference between NOW TV when it's on 720 and when it's on 1080. So, on that basis, I think this chart is showing there would be minimal deterioration between 48 and 55 inch. If I have interpreted it correctly!

resolution_chart.png

Sponsored Links
Back