best way of compacting type 1 mot by hand..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry me again.

I have a small area to compact.. 1.4m x 0.35 at 200mm. Could I use a concrete block (18kg) smashed down from 0.5m ? I'm thinking in 50mm layers, should I use some water to help bind it? The hardcore I have now seems to have more dust in than wickes' which didn't have enough.

The shuttering will be removed and the area filled with more pea shingle. There is a soil pipe in that area. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
your going to struggle to get good compaction using this method, also a 50mm layer will be difficult to achieve since there will be stones bigger than that.

Use the stone from 1m with about 6 passes with 100mm layers do get compaction. however, this still won't be to spec for the material but may be good enough for your needs

Sponsored Links
Stamp on it.

An area that small is not going to suffer from pocket sinkage like a large area. Crack on and dunner worry. The friction around the slab edges alone will go a long way to keeping things stable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back