Best way to 1st fix a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been asked to 1st fix a conservatory. Which of the following ways (if any) would you consider the best way to do it.

Conservatory needs 4 sockets, 1 on one wall, 3 on another after patio doors.
I was going to run radial circuit in 4mm 3core SWA(from front of house round outside to consrvatory(RCD'd at CU)) to the outside wall of 1st socket, 4mm t/e into back box, via conny block in outside box. Back then along the outside of conservatory under patio doors to outside 2nd socket (in 4mm swa). Enter 2nd sockets in 4mmt/e, then go to the other sockets on that wall either:
Via cavity - which is full tight with insulation now.
or
in capping horizontal to each socket (though theres a 30 degree bend in wall and was concerned about when the plasterers dryline the corner of the wall.
Which way is best, or would you do it another way

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Audit the existing grd / flr ring and add socket to that if suitable.

Audit use requirements in conservatory and work off a 13 a f/ spur.

Run 2.5mm or 4mm radial internally from CU subject to load /audit of use (as above).

I absolutely hate external runs for internal work, it's labour intensive and with swa you have to break on a suitable j/b to drop back to TE which when external (as you suggest) is kin horrid.

why T+E though? just leave the inner core long and use conduit through the wall straight into the backbox.. no need for extra joints to complicate matters..

is there no scope to run in conduit in the floor? ( or is it finished already? typical of homeowners.. nice new conservatory then decide they want some sockets.. )

Is the inside rendered? Not brick?

I would take the 4mm SWA (or 2.5mm 20amp is you want) directly into the conservatory before they lay the final screen. Fix the swa to the concrete oversite and loop past the sockets.

Use 35mm boxes, and terminate the SWA into these using a brass bush, serrated washer and a galv coupler.

35mm boxes have the knockouts further back than a 25mm allowing for render over the SWA and glands. I tend to use CW glands and ditch the shroud.

Sponsored Links
Hello.
Maybe an idea to allow for an outside socket too ? ;)

Ed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back