Best way to clean house roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to clean my roof today, it's got a portion in a shaded area where another house is above me and the moss seems to grow there otherwise its fairly clean.

I had a small wire brush I taped and cable tied to a long 5m extension pole that just about reaches to the top and I was able to scrape some of it and hose it down to the gutters but it took forever and isn't practical.

Unfortunately it's getting caught behind the velux? And I don't have a roofing ladder and it's too steep to walk on.

Any suggestions?

Some pictures but quite hard to make out the moss it's really thick in some areas, back and front.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_155630.jpg
    IMG_20220331_155630.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220331_155632.jpg
    IMG_20220331_155632.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220331_155639.jpg
    IMG_20220331_155639.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220331_160420.jpg
    IMG_20220331_160420.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Could buy a skyscraper set if you really wanted to do it without paying someone.

Why can't you take out the window and do it from working inside your loft?

Andy

Ah apologies its actually a bedroom, my house is a chalet bungalow so it's only got 2 rooms upstairs 1 is a bedroom with a normal window the other us 2 skylights.

I do have a small attic but no roof access.

I can however open the skylights right down, I thought about climbing out but not sure I'd be able to support myself on the roof without slipping down it would be a rough fall

Sponsored Links
Do not climb out of the window, google Rod Hull.

Ask your local window cleaner if he can give you a price to clean what you want.

Andy

Do not climb out of the window, google Rod Hull.

Ask your local window cleaner if he can give you a price to clean what you want.

Andy

Thought about it but I'm not going to, I'd be no good to anyone falling off a roof haha.

Would rsther do jobs like this myself money is tight and I like to do as much as possible myself. I guess I'll just keep scraping it as much as I can maybe throw a moss killer over it and let it die off.

It does no great harm, why not ignore it?

Worst option - get a cowboy company in to clear it and maybe have your roof wrecked.

So it's not good or bad for your roof? I was worried about long term damage and doesn't look great either

So it's not good or bad for your roof? I was worried about long term damage and doesn't look great either

It does no harm at all, though scammers will try to insist it does damage your roof and needs to be removed. The only serious effect of moss on your roof, is when it dies and drops off, it can obstruct gutters and fall pipes. If you just keep those clear - no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back