best way to instal a concrete lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask about the best way to instal a concrete lintel?
I have removed a course of bricks ready for the lintel to slide into.
My current plan is to slide the lintel in, then wedge in pieces of slate all around it.
Then push mortar into all the gaps.
Please could you let me know if this sounds right, and also if there are any particular things I need to make sure of?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The lintel is 65mmx100mmx1800mm, and the span is 1350mm
It is being installed near the ceiling on the ground floor.
The wall is the rear exterior load bearing wall of a two storey terraced house (circa 1910)

any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated,

thanks,

Yes, as you said really. wedge it in with slate, & pack with mortar.

Some would say the lintel's a bit small at 65mm deep. but it would probably do....

I would use a 140mm deep one myself.

Sponsored Links
As above, and be careful how you handle the lintel. Those 65 deep ones can be easily fractured if you bang them about.

@ OP;
Your scheme of putting in a 65mm deep p/c concrete lintel may well work. But frankly, the thin ones are generally intended for 'composite action', that is, they work best when being built-in as the brickwork proceeds upwards.

If they are also supporting floor joists, as questioned above, you need to consider the additional loading (live and dead) including the possibility of 'shock' loading, which these beams are not really intended for.

Although it might be a bit more work, why not consider a small steel beam instead, such as a 125x75?

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts - in the light of what you've been saying I think I will book a structural engineer to visit the house and give me some specifications to work from.
Many thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back