Best way to junction for 2 lights on 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if anybody here could come up with a neat way to do this?

On the supply side, there are 2 cables (power supply and switch).

On the load side, there are 2 cables (1 for each light).

Normally I'd just use a Wago box behind one of the lights to do the junction with push-fit (773) connectors.

However this time, the base of the light is not big enough to cover the hole required for a full-size Wago box.

I know Wago make lighting junction boxes as well, but as far as I'm aware they can only accommodate 2 supply side and 1 load side cable. Unless somebody here knows different?

I guess I could make the full-size Wago comply to maintenance-free use and hide it in the wall, but that makes it a ball-ache to modify in future.

Sponsored Links
The base may not bring enough for the box. But there is nothing to stop you having the Wago connectors inside the base. A Wago box is not then needed.

Unfortunately the base is also too small to accommodate 3 incoming cables.

Sponsored Links
Here's a photo of the back of the fitting.

20170717_205241.jpg

Oh no that looks like an awful 'Class 2' metal fitting, almost impossible to install unless you have only 1 0.75mm 2 core flex poking out of the wall.
Can you throw the fittings away and get some lights that have been designed to be installed?

Are you technically allowed non-sheathed single core wires and un-enclosed wagos within a metal class 2 fitting?

May look terrible, but one way to accomodate the wiring may be to fit a round pattress or besa box behind the fitting.

Are you technically allowed non-sheathed single core wires and un-enclosed wagos within a metal class 2 fitting?
No you are not, which makes trying to fit this sort of light very difficult. All the single insulation must be contained inside the pathetic little plastic enclosure supplied with the light.

The suggestion of a back box is a good one, a plastic lid over the connections will conceal the single insulation.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I've found a 5a jb thin enough to ensure the light covers the hole required. Will report back tomorrow...

If it doesn't pan out I'll look at the pattress.

Quick update. I've managed to use a Wago lighting box, 2 cables in and 2 out with a terminal block inside rather than push fit. Can just about get it in/out of the wall behind one of the new wall lights, with about 5mm to spare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back