neatest way to wire 6gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i/c live feed, dropped switch feeds and feeds to lamps all appear at the same point.

Suggestions for neatest way to loop-in/out all six circuits without using multiple junction boxes

found these Wago push connectors - look neat in one housing
http://www.wagocatalog.com/okv3/ind...p=1&strSort_Pic_Text_Temp=0&strLiefertermin=1

3012202.jpg

come in 2,3,4,6,8 terminals - are they compliant ?

Sponsored Links
Little bit confused at what you have, does everything appear at the 6 gang switch?
Those terminals are fine as long as they are inside an enclosure, this enclosure can be made up of the switch front and back box of course.
If they are at the switch you'll probably only need to join the neutrals anyway. A bit of 15A chock block will do.

The switch just has the switch circuits (6 x 1.0mm), they run up the wall into the ceiling (under the first floor, floor) the incoming live appears there, as does the six cables going to each lighting circuit.

These look like the neatest way.....

Urghh!
Accessable enclosure on the wall to house all the connections.

Sponsored Links
on the wall ?

it's going under the floor

I know - that is why I said URGHH
All non permanent connections should be accessable, under the floor isn't accessable.
Permanent connections are things like crimps, soldering, brazing and the likes. As far as I am aware, those wago connectors are not permanent, I may be wrong tho.
How about asking the installer? This is a classic example where it would have been easier to run the supply cable to the switch and the 6 cables back out to the lights, all the connections housed behind the switch.

Regulation 526.3

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be burried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

Which one of those exclusions covers your connectors?

well, they're pretty permanent compression connectors as once the conductor is pushed in, it cannot be pulled out or released

Hence the question if they they were complaint...

What type of crimps are you looking at? The normal ones are not usually meant for more than one wire, one in and one out for butt splice. You need to join 7 together by the sounds of it.

You can easily remove those connectors. If you look on the box, it shows you how to do it.

They are NOT compression connectors. A compression connector is fitted using a compression tool.

You cant use crimps either.

You will have SEVEN neutrals at your joint. Butt splice crimps are designed for ONE conductor in, and ONE conductor out.

That leaves you with five unterminated neutrals.

If they were compliant then you could use them.
If a piece of string was compliant I could use it as a seat belt. It is a big "if"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back