Best way to secure taxi plates to car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old man has decided he wants to be a taxi driver and turned up at mine with taxi plates asking me to fit them to his car..

I looked at the instructions and it notes to drill 6mm holes and screw a bracket which the licence will sit in...

Now having never drilled into a car am rather apprehensive about this... what's your thoughts? Drill bits for metal would be best?

Sponsored Links
The old man has decided he wants to be a taxi driver and turned up at mine with taxi plates asking me to fit them to his car..

I looked at the instructions and it notes to drill 6mm holes and screw a bracket which the licence will sit in...

Now having never drilled into a car am rather apprehensive about this... what's your thoughts? Drill bits for metal would be best?

How about sticky both sides pads....the sort of thing that secures your normal number plate?
Very effective on flat surfaces and no drilling. Motor factors supply them very cheaply.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think council licensing officers can get quite precious about how the plates are attached. If they have supplied a holder, they'll certainly want you to use that! If he's a "Private Hire" rather than a hackney, most of them are more relaxed. I've seen some cars where they've gone for a Japanese-style "square" number plate and then put the taxi plate next to it, using one of the old number plate screws as one of the fasteners. Not all cars lend themselves to that though.

If there's plastic bumpers etc then screw into that instead, saves any issues with corrosion down the line and usually bumpers etc are outside of the cabin space so wont affect the car being water tight if removed in the future.

What about when he decides he no longer wants to be a taxi driver?
Get some neodymium magnets and attach them to the plate then use that to connect it to the car. :)

Back