Best way to stick stainless steel to aluminium?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to join together about 6 metres of aluminium and stainless steel "L" angle strips, like this (end view):

¬L

There will be a vertical load on the s/s (left hand side of the diagram) equivalent to say 50kg max over any 100mm length of the join - the extreme left hand end will be fully supported but the vertical surface will rely on the strength of the adhesion to the aluminium. The joinable vertical area is about 20mm high, and the strips come in 1-2m long sections.

I don't have the option of using rivets, bolts, welding etc.

What would be the best adhesive to use?

Any top tips for preparing the surfaces?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Araldite epoxy resin is as good as it gets...roughen up the mating surfaces with abrasive paper if you can, and keep warm until fully set.
If you can clamp things together, so much the better.
John :)

Araldite epoxy resin is as good as it gets...roughen up the mating surfaces with abrasive paper if you can, and keep warm until fully set.
If you can clamp things together, so much the better.
John :)
Scratch the ali surface and get the resin on it quick - the oxide starts forming - pedantic , but I`m just airing my knowlege ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I rubbed the aluminium as suggested.

I had so much metal to attach that I'd have needed a Kenwood Chef to mix the Araldite. So following a frame fitter's advice I used a tube of Stixall. Seems to be holding well, but of course time will tell...

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back