Best way to use kingspan insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am about to insulate my fish house that is a single skinned breeze block building , would it be best to screw / nail /glue the kingspan 40mm sheets directly to the wall and then
spot and dabbing plasterboard over the kingspan sheets or do you have to put up battens and insulate between them. The reason i ask is i am unsure whether i have to allow for any ventilation gap between the insulation and the plasterboard as i know you have to for the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
have you already got the boards?
if not, then why not buy 50mm insulation backed board, and then screw them straight on to battons.
dj.

-dj- said:
have you already got the boards?
if not, then why not buy 50mm insulation backed board, and then screw them straight on to battons.
dj.

Yes i got 16 sheets for nothing so could not turn them down really i would have gone for 50mm but when you get an offer like this you don't say no.

i think on this application, i would put battons up and then kingspan in between the battons 12.5mm foilbacked board then skim, use aluminium foil tape on all joins and it will give you the vapour barrier on the kingspan.
also keep plasterboards at least 1/2 inch off the floor
tape from sf....no.15089.

anything i missed robbo???

Sponsored Links
just hold back a while..
i want a second opinion on what i think is right, so please wait for legs akimbo to clarify my thaughts.

2x1 should be ok but you still need to stop damp from penetrating through the walls.

dj.

air gap should be between the insulation and the roof covering not the ceiling and then only any point if it is ventilated to the outside.I assume this is a fish house that contains fishtanks if so then I wouldn't worry about damp coming in as the air inside will probably be damper than the air on the outside, I would put 2x1 battens on the wall put acouple of screws through your insulation to hold it in place and then screw your plasterboard on through the insulation.Oh use foil backed just in case any damp lifts any plastering you may do.

just to follow on with what chappers said, kingspan over the battons is perfectly acceptable and easier to do. however if you put the kingspan in between it will save you a little space, if space is an issue. also you could use the battons for future fixings. if you are not bothered about space or fixings then just go straight over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back