BG330+ Boiler Replacement

Be carefull with that, lots of companies to be an approved or recommended installer just means they install a set amount of boilers per year, doesnt mean they have a clue what goes on inside them

Sponsored Links
5 years old? What is the boiler serial number? Don’t think these have been manufactured for about 10 years
have to say that was my thought too, definately thought it would have been older than 5 years

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
5 years old? What is the boiler serial number? Don’t think these have been manufactured for about 10 years
Installed 20/3/15. Here's a photo of the serial number if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_202244.jpg
    IMG_20211104_202244.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Thanks
Sponsored Links
Going by serial number if same as Vaillant, you’d be correct.

Yes that serial is 2015. Noise from them is often the gas valve at fault. It is a Glowworm ultracom 2. Badged as BG

I would repair as that boiler should have another 10years ish left in it

Yes that serial is 2015. Noise from them is often the gas valve at fault. It is a Glowworm ultracom 2. Badged as BG

I would repair as that boiler should have another 10years ish left in it
That's great. Might go with the Glow Worm repair option then and see where it takes me. I just thought it wasn't a very good boiler and though no one would know what to do to get rid of this annoying noise.

I wonder if it’s a failed erp pump, had a few on Vaillants go faulty, got them replaced under warranty.

Definitely worth getting it repaired, it'll be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new boiler. Must have been one of the very last 330s ever made, plenty of life left in it yet and all spares are readily available

sounds like the combustion settings are out, or possibly a faulty flue seal, either way a very easy repair for an experienced engineer

It's been a bit of a saga since I last wrote. Had a couple of engineers out and had the fan replaced but to cut a long story short we've still got the same issues. However, something interesting we have noticed is water dripping out onto the worktop. It appears to be condensate leaking out the pipe going into the wall and out to the soak away. Does anyone know if this pipe isn't fitted well and leaking whether it would cause these issues? The reason I ask is that the sounds are intermittent, and it does sound like combustion isn't right although all the setting have been checked and are ok. You get the whooping noise when it first starts up, and I've watched the flame indicator on the panel and it's like the flame is struggling to keep going when this happens. Then when it's going you can either get this whining/whistling noise or it's perfectly normal. So it does seem to be combustion, and at times it works perfectly normal, but nobody can work out what is causing these problems. Just clutching at straws here before I go out and replace it.

It's been a bit of a saga since I last wrote. Had a couple of engineers out and had the fan replaced but to cut a long story short we've still got the same issues. However, something interesting we have noticed is water dripping out onto the worktop. It appears to be condensate leaking out the pipe going into the wall and out to the soak away. Does anyone know if this pipe isn't fitted well and leaking whether it would cause these issues? The reason I ask is that the sounds are intermittent, and it does sound like combustion isn't right although all the setting have been checked and are ok. You get the whooping noise when it first starts up, and I've watched the flame indicator on the panel and it's like the flame is struggling to keep going when this happens. Then when it's going you can either get this whining/whistling noise or it's perfectly normal. So it does seem to be combustion, and at times it works perfectly normal, but nobody can work out what is causing these problems. Just clutching at straws here before I go out and replace it.

Sounds like you have a cracked flue collector, quite common, this would give you both these symptoms, not an expensive repair, but your engineer doesnt fill me with confidence Im afraid

Sounds like you have a cracked flue collector, quite common, this would give you both these symptoms, not an expensive repair, but your engineer doesnt fill me with confidence Im afraid
Well we seem to have found an engineer who knows what he his doing. He checked the flue collector and he thought it wasn't fitted properly. Anyway, after talking to Glow Worm it seems to be something in the heat exchanger blocking things up and causing the fan to struggle. He had an idea of opening up the bottom of the heat exchanger to try and release the debris but he was told you can't get the seals any more so it looks like a new boiler. :(

Well we seem to have found an engineer who knows what he his doing. He checked the flue collector and he thought it wasn't fitted properly. Anyway, after talking to Glow Worm it seems to be something in the heat exchanger blocking things up and causing the fan to struggle. He had an idea of opening up the bottom of the heat exchanger to try and release the debris but he was told you can't get the seals any more so it looks like a new boiler. :(
If and that is a very big if that was the case , then you simply remove the fan and burner, which is part of a proper service and clean the heat exchanger from the top , then flush through with water, not exactly a hard job, still think it is the collector though, a partially blocked heat exchanger would not give the symptoms you reported

• Thanks
If and that is a very big if that was the case , then you simply remove the fan and burner, which is part of a proper service and clean the heat exchanger from the top , then flush through with water, not exactly a hard job, still think it is the collector though, a partially blocked heat exchanger would not give the symptoms you reported
Interesting. I'll relay that on.

can't get the seals!! really. everything is still available spares wise for this boiler

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back