Biasi Boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem on my Biasi GAIA savio 28s (manufactured in 1999).
Basically it stopped providing hot water out the taps when requested, the up shot is that I have to put the central heating on to get how water to flow from the taps.

I contacted a CORGI registered heating engineer, who took at look and said it was the diverter valve and a replacement part alone would cost (…….get ready) £387.00 plus VAT plus fitting! As well as 2 new flow switches (nothing wrong with them)

After I showing him the door, :idea: I had a look at some of the pages on this forum and carried out the following work myself.

Stripped down the diverter valve, cleaned and reassembled (works fine mechanically)
Checked the 2 diaphragm/membranes (bit flappy but not torn or punctured)
Checked the DHW filter.
Examined the main PCB and found there was an area that had signs of overheating (underneath the small heatsink at the bottom left hand side of the board)

Basically I have these questions

Is there anything else I should check for this symptom?
If the diverter valve works mechanically could there be anything else wrong with it?
Is a small amount of blackening usual on a the PCB?
Should I just change the board?
If so I’m getting contradictory part numbers, the manual says BG1015 108 and the stockests list the part as BI1045133 formally (1045104)

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Have a good week

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler fire when the tap is opened?

Is the 3-way valve functioning? Sorry, but I am not sure whether it is in hot water or central heting mode when at rest.

Don't really know on this one, but a 'flappy' diaphragm is not the same as a nice 'tight' new one.

gas4you said:
Don't really know on this one, but a 'flappy' diaphragm is not the same as a nice 'tight' new one.

This is a Biasi diaphragm that i changed and cost £9 delivered.
You can see the split.
0003145ec0.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could just be a microswitch! You really need to do some diagnosing...

For a start see if the diverter pin is moving towards the DHW flow switch.

To follow see if the DHW flow switch brings the boiler on when manually activated.

There is no "small heat sink at the bottom left hand corner" !

You probably mean the heat sink on Q3 which is on the top left corner?

That controls the current taken by the modulating coil !

If the DHW diaphragm is not pushing the diverter then there might be a blockage in one of the bundy tubes.

Tony

Agree with ChrisR, all your doing is listing parts in the boiler and think you know what your talking about.

Just by saying 'ive checked this, ive checked that, nothing seems to be hanging off or snapped doesnt mean its working.

It needs diagnosing on site by someone who will be happy to explain the fault why its occured and obviously the cure.

Im not saying he was correct with his diagnoses but why 'show someone the door' because it wasnt the price you were hoping. :rolleyes:

If it didnt work you needent pay him.

Sympathy is with OP on this one.

£400+ is a scandalous price to have to pay for a repair :eek:

Try another engineer who has been recommended to you that will charge you a fair price :D

Bahco said:
Sympathy is with OP on this one.

£400+ is a scandalous price to have to pay for a repair :eek:

Try another engineer who has been recommended to you that will charge you a fair price :D

It is when the boiler only cost that :eek:

Thank you everybody who shared their knowledge and patience with my questions. The problem turned out to be a faulty (badly corroded) micro switch as ChrisR suggested. I did take a picture but I'm not too sure how to upload it.

I have one on order and I'll change the flappy diaphram whilst I'm at it.

To set the record straight the heating engineer who came and mis diagnosed the fault, wanted to charge £387 plus vat, excluding labour for a part that I can get for £90+vat on line (retail). I have no problem at all for paying for skills and craftsmanship but do take issue with this type of mark-up. He also said it might be the PCB as well and he could get one for around £900....the numpty!

Thanks once again guys

Thanks for clarifying Tim. He certainly sounded like a bit of a tool.

Remember a lot us do this for a living and whilst we keep things fairly neutral most of time; some comments do automatically get the defences up - if you see what I mean.

There's a FAQ on posting piccies - the more info the better the forum.

Tim, the switch will have failed as a result of a failed gland !

The gland will need to be replaced as well as the pin unless its very carefully cleaned with wire wool.

The gas valve would normally have to be removed to access the gland and that should be done by a competent person usually a CORGI.

One enterprising DIYer did manage to do it by removing the LH hydraulic block though.

I dont recommend replacing the diaphragm if its working fine as it can easily be replaced anytime in the future when it fails. It could end up with leaks you might not be able to manage.

Tony

My professional opinion is that its F'''Ked

That will be 84 please (agile's diagnosis fee)

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back