Bicycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No one has come forward to claim the 'foundling' bike, found dumped over the railway fence locally and recovered by us a few weeks ago, so I set to - on Avril's behalf, to repair it up for her to make use of. It's a Muddyfox 24 girls bike, little used, but quite abused, before it was dumped. Both handlebar brake levers were snapped, so no brakes at all, the chain was rusted and jammed up at both ends, plus the headstock was quite loose and rattling. Other than that, it was obviously near new, no wear on tyres. It seems to be quite a large bike for a girl's bike size?

I got some new levers for it, fitted them, sorted out the headstock lose bearings, oiled the chain, and managed to get it free and back on the proper cogs. The handlebar gear change covers were also missing, but it works fine for the moment without them - 3 on the front, and 6 on the rear. I found that by pulling the seat up to the max, I was able to test it around the garden. Avril, at 5 1, claimed it was far too high for her, and wanted it moved almost to the bottom, so she could get both feet flat down on the ground. I understood you set the seat height, so you could just your toes to the ground - am I correct?

Yesterday, I picked up and fitted it with a pair of LED lights.

The knobbly tyres seem to have around the correct pressure, but how many PSI should they be?

Sponsored Links
The knobbly tyres seem to have around the correct pressure, but how many PSI should they be?
Bike tyres have the pressure range written on them. Bottom of the range for a soft ride off road but more effort needed to pedal, top of the range for a hard but easy to pedal ride on tarmac or anywhere in between.

30-35psi is reasonable for a kids bike. You'd run it lower if you were going off road and harder if you wanted to make it a bit easier to peddle.

People don’t realise but cycle tyres can/should be pumped up a lot higher than the tyres in your car. Road bikes could be 120psi or more.

Sponsored Links
Fixed daughters bike over the weekend. New tubes and tyres pumped up to 45psi, tyre showed 50!

People don’t realise but cycle tyres can/should be pumped up a lot higher than the tyres in your car. Road bikes could be 120psi or more.
But this is a mtb or at-least wants to be. Road bike wheels are rather different

But this is a mtb or at-least wants to be. Road bike wheels are rather different
That’s why I said "road bikes". Most people also don’t know what a tubular tyre is on a cycle either. Clue, the tyres you see on 99.9% of bikes are not tubular tyres. ;)

The road type (hybrid??) tyres I fitted on my MTB instead of knobbly tyres say to pump up to 80 PSI. I think this is a little high, especially with the destroyed, third world roads we have in these parts. A tad uncomfortable. 60 to 65 PSI seems about right.

Avril, at 5 1, claimed it was far too high for her, and wanted it moved almost to the bottom, so she could get both feet flat down on the ground. I understood you set the seat height, so you could just your toes to the ground - am I correct?

I believe the seat should be adjusted so the rider's leg is almost straight when pedal is at it's lowest position.

Helping a mate change an inner tube in 1983.
Narrow racing tyres 100+ PSI.

I used to put a couple of pumps in them so they kept their shape, then fit them into the tyre. Once in, I'd go round the tyre on both sides to make sure it wasn't trapped.

My mate started pumping it up. He got to around 100 and then there was an almighty bang, the likes of which I have never heard before or since....

My mate was virtually deaf for about a week!

I virtually peed myself!

My mate started pumping it up. He got to around 100 and then there was an almighty bang, the likes of which I have never heard before or since....
I did the same with a hybrid bike tyre. I had pumped it to around 50psi and I had taken the front wheel off so that I could fit the bike in the back of my car. It was while I was driving that it went off and it gave me quite a fright.

I believe the seat should be adjusted so the rider's leg is almost straight when pedal is at it's lowest position.
Knowing your inside leg measurement helps when setting the seat in position.
You should be able to touch your toes to the ground from a sitting position.
It makes a real difference to riding comfortably, especially on long journeys.

I can just touch the ground with my toes on mine but I like sitting up high as it gives me a better view of the road ahead. My bike is a 19.5” frame.

Sponsored Links
Back