Big Blue Barrels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the big blue barrels are called that are used to transport chemicals?
I want to get hold of a couple to use as water butts but want to know what to search for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Could you please let us know if you do find any.
I've been looking for a reasonably priced butt for a year now...
The best I've found is the DIY stores with a butt and stand for just over £30.
In my opinion this is far too expensive.

I've done a bit of googling, but not found blue barrels for any less.
I'd be concerned about using them unless I was 100% sure they didn't contain anything harmful before.

Sponsored Links
JamesA said:
Could you please let us know if you do find any.
I've been looking for a reasonably priced butt for a year now...
The best I've found is the DIY stores with a butt and stand for just over £30.
In my opinion this is far too expensive.

I've done a bit of googling, but not found blue barrels for any less.
I'd be concerned about using them unless I was 100% sure they didn't contain anything harmful before.

The only advice I can offer is not to type "reasonably priced butt" into google. ;)

Eddie M said:
The only advice I can offer is not to type "reasonably priced butt" into google. ;)

Because, obviously, you need big round ones.

JohnD said:
Eddie M said:

Because, obviously, you need big round ones.

:( just tried it, the results were disappointing !

Like I said, detergent manufacturers receive their raw materials in blue plastic kegs. These are the same harmless chemicals that you use to wash your hair, the dishes, the floor and so on. There are small companies all over the country making detergents.

I mainly want the water butt for watering my vegetable plants, and so I'd be worried about getting rid of all traces of chemicals.
Someone suggested using containers that had been used to store fruit juice, but I'm still on the search for them...

I'll keep the detergent manufacturers in mind though as I could always do with a 2nd butt for general garden watering.

You really wouldn't need to worry; once the drum had been washed out and the washing water was no longer foaming you could be sure it was clean. HDPE (high density polyethylene) is not absorbant although volatiles like orange terpenes will migrate through it.

Most likely problem with any detergent contamination could be the loss of surface tension caused by having traces of surfactant (surface-actant) in the water - don't know what this would do to the roots of your plants though!

Well we buy the tighthead versions (closed top with a screw cap) for £13.56 each from a firm in St Helens. I see from their site that they have a wide range.

http://www.gemplastics.ie/

Ooh sorry mods, aren't I supposed to do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back