1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Cracks - Load bearing beam

Discussion in 'Building' started by Whiteho2, 24 May 2021.

1. Whiteho2

Whiteho2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I'm currently looking at a property to buy and whilst I'm quite advanced in the purchase process, I have noticed a major crack where the central wall was originally located - between front and rear, ground floor rooms.

From my understanding, this wall was removed many years ago and I have no record as to when exactly.

There is a large crack/loose plaster in the corner of where the load bearing frame meets the supporting brickwork, inside the property. I presume there is a steel in there but who knows?!

Perhaps its normal settlement and because the plaster has come loose it looks worse than it is but what are peoples initial thoughts? There are no other visible signs of cracking etc.

I should also mention the property is mid-terrace. unnamed.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That looks bad enough to me that i'd want the plaster taken off where it's coming loose anyway and a structural engineer have a look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Abnormal, not normal

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would want a substantial reduction in the price and have it properly surveyed before agreeing to it. It looks very serious.

6. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can't beat a quick look around your house to check it's not falling down before you try and sell it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeds

jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Funnily enough, the wall with the picture frame on looks like it's had a lick of paint - but not the rest. Must have thought the cracks wouldn't be noticed.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it an original internal wall, or could it be an external wall with a later extension?
    It looks a bit thick for an internal wall, though it could be the closeness or angle of the pic?

10. Whiteho2

Whiteho2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s the original internal wall or middle wall in a typical two up two down Victorian house.

I have a structural engineer coming to assess next week. I see no other signs of damage anywhere but here and the guy asked on the phone if next door had any work done, which I believe they have looking at planning online.

11. Whiteho2

Whiteho2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Interestingly, there is also a hot water tank located directly about this beam in the rear room. I wonder if there was ever a leak and the loose plaster is simply a result of that....

12. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know that its not what you want to hear, but its unlikely to be the result of a leak.
    The way that the cracks are vertically and horizontally in line with the support point suggests that the point where the RSJ is resting on the pier is unstable for some reason.

13. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any evidence of water damage to the ceiling?