Big leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a bit of a disaster last night, the wife's in the bath and all of a sudden a joint on the sink popped off and flooded the bathroom with cold water. It was a polypipe attached to a compression joint which I've used for years but this is the first time this has happened. I cleaned and changed the olive and its fine now but I might end up replacing them for pushfits.

It spilled out through the light fittings in the kitchen and the smoke alarm in the hall.

Its dry this morning with lovely damp lines on the newly painted kitchen ceiling but just wondered what sort of time should I wait before powering on the lights again.. the lights are bone dry and we had the heating on to warm the house up..

Probably a 'how long is a piece of string' answer.

The hardboard under the lino in the bathroom has blown too making it springy so that will need replacing as I cant see it flattening again.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Had a bit of a disaster last night, the wife's in the bath and all of a sudden a joint on the sink popped off and flooded the bathroom with cold water. It was a polypipe attached to a compression joint which I've used for years but this is the first time this has happened.

What type of insert had you used in the pipe?

Sponsored Links
your meant to use an insert inside the plastic pipe to stop it collapsing inside the fitting.

Hands up, my fault. I missed the insert on the cold water pipe.

It lasted 18 months so I guess I was lucky it blew off when I was at home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back