Biofuels - the real cost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We keep hearing that biofuels are the future, but what's the real cost per litre? When costs are taken into account do they include subsidies?

"The government currently spends £550m annually on biofuel subsidies."

Well that's some subsidy that is.

I've never seen a subsidised crop make a profit yet - so why should this alter anything?

It's just a game they are playing. Better reducing our usage and subsidising home insulation and hitting gas guzzlers with a super-tax.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7581436.stm

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, running your vehicle on gas is always an increasing cost, but there is a way that can be more profitable than this. Now you can easily use a system that allows you to convert your fuel costs to save huge amounts of running your vehicle. You can learn to build a simple inexpensive device, attach it to a vehicle's engine and convert that vehicle into a water-burning hybrid .

The oxygen/hydrogen bond of water requires more energy to split than is available when re-combined. So the equivalent of what you are saying is that if you charge a battery you get more energy back than you put in. Just plain silly.

I've never seen a subsidised crop make a profit yet - so why should this alter anything? quote.
So Joe you have been involved in farming as well as everything else?
Well as it happens I have and the farmers wouldn't grow a crop in quantity if it wasn't profitable would he? subsidised OR not. :eek:

Sponsored Links
an old diesel transit will pull it with ease.

Not flashy enough, though.

they could get those shetland ponies and put them straight in the back of the transit and forget the trailer. :)

I've never seen a subsidised crop make a profit yet - so why should this alter anything? quote.
So Joe you have been involved in farming as well as everything else?
Well as it happens I have and the farmers wouldn't grow a crop in quantity if it wasn't profitable would he? subsidised OR not. :eek:

They grow it in quantity BECAUSE of the subsidy. Now we've got a wheat shortage due to subsidising the rape crop and the price of wheat has gone crazy - so we subsidise it in yet another hidden way.

Won't go off road though. And why is road tax'ing a "gas guzzler" fair anyway. Why should I pay 4 times as much road tax for a vehicle that does less than 6k miles a year?

Won't go off road though. And why is road tax'ing a "gas guzzler" fair anyway. Why should I pay 4 times as much road tax for a vehicle that does less than 6k miles a year?
How many gallons of fuel do you get through in those 6k miles a year compared to an average saloon car that does 12k a year?

I've got lots of money. I have some horses and a big expensive flashy Chelsea Tractor even though it does less than 6k miles a year. The rest of the time I drive one of my other cars.

Why should I pay more tax than the common people who only have less money and one small, economical car?

Brag, brag, brag.

Sponsored Links
Back