Biofuels - the real cost.

Why do townies want 4 X 4 vehicles.

If they feel important in their large vehicles why don't manufactures just make a 2 wheel drive model?

Farmers, certain contractors, and people in very rural areas justifies having 4 X 4's, but in towns its pathetic.
The majority of these town 4 X 4 drivers will never have had to use the various gear ratios, diff locks,traction control ect, and probably don't know what the additional controls are used for.

Persons that can actually justify why they need 4 X 4's should not be penalised with higher road tax, but the "look at me" running round town in a big 4 X 4 should be charged even hire road tax.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:
Why should I pay 4 times as much road tax for a vehicle that does less than 6k miles a year?

Well why should I? I'd be in favour of scrapping road tax, and putting the cost onto fuel, then that would be fair, but just blanket taxing isn't.

Is council tax banding fair?

I don't own any horses, but my wife rides and helps out at the stables, which requires going off road. This wasn't the reason we bought it, it was bought for practicality, when we had 3 kids under 18 months requiring 3 baby seats we found that practically no car can fit them side by side.

Furthermore, I don't live in a town, and the car very seldom ever goes near one. and my 4x4 is hardly what you'd call flash, think more along the lines of filthy.

And yes you're right I do have another car, but then round here I'm afraid that is essential, it is not a luxury. We have no Shops, Post office, Library, Doctors Surgery, and only 2 buses per week. But then the government seems to think we all live in towns, and therefore should be encouraged to give up our cars and walk, well I think walking a 10 mile round trip for your shopping is a little excessive.

But perhaps they are right, we should all be forced to move into towns, and leave the countryside to it's own sinister devices, after all it's only full of smelly animals, s**t and inbreds.

But perhaps they are right, we should all be forced to move into towns, and leave the countryside to it's own sinister devices, after all it's only full of smelly animals, s**t and inbreds.
what and make the towns full of "smelly animals, s**t and inbreds"?

Sponsored Links
Won't go off road though. And why is road tax'ing a "gas guzzler" fair anyway. Why should I pay 4 times as much road tax for a vehicle that does less than 6k miles a year?
How many gallons of fuel do you get through in those 6k miles a year compared to an average saloon car that does 12k a year?

Ah, but it ferries around on average more people than the average saloon.

Ah, but it ferries around on average more people than the average saloon.
Thats a fair argument and would have to be considered in any comparisons.
It would be interesting to find out which is still the most uneconomical to run, i'm still siding with the 4x4 being most uneconomical to run. ;)

Back