birmingham cable master phone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the living room stripped right back for plaster skimmimg, wife wants all sockets and switches updated. No problem with electrics and TV stuff.

Unfortunately the B'ham Cable Phone outlet stands proud of the wall on a white plastic "box". Sticks out like a sore thumb as it is!

Basically I would like to sink this flush into wall and utilise a master socket (?) of the same finish (brass) as the rest of the sockets and switches.

Can this be achieved to get me in the wife's good books. What sort of socket will I need a RF11 master?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The master socket is the property of the service provider's installation and maintainance company. For BT and many others this is OpenReach.

You should not alter the master box if it is so stated in the small print of your contract.

Your best option if you want a fancy brass socket is to arrange for the master socket to be moved to a less conspicuous place and then wire your fancy brass socket as a DIY extension from the master socket.

Thanks for your quick response unfortunately the suggestion is somewhat impractical. I would either have to dig up my driveway recently relaid, or drill holes through three walls and channel out several metres of floor concrete to accomodate rerouting master and bringing back extension cables.

Basically the cable comes in from outside, into the patrfesse box that is surface mounted, I want to sink the patresse box into the wall, like one does with electric switches. The master socket then fits into this, flush with wall, this surely cant infringe any regulation?

OK I wish to change the actual master socket from white plastic to a brass one to match the decor There are loads of such sockets for sale on the internet, B&Q, Homebase etc so if they sell them there must be an awful lot of demand and I am quite happy to hang onto the B'ham Cable one for them!

The socket is where I want it, I just need to change the wires over to a new master socket, surely this can be done without a huge amount of digging up drives/comcrete etc?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how Birmingham Cable Phone presents it's service to the domestic user. If its a standard two wire loop then you can change the face plate without altering the electrical configuration enough to mess up the line.

But if the presentation is not a standard two wire loop then the face plate may not be the same as those widely available NTE 5 clones for ( un-authorised DIY ) modification of BT line termination.

If the present box is on an internal wall then you might be able to relocate the box to the other side of the wall and wire the brass socket as an extension socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back