Bit of a mess of installing sockets in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really looking for some opinions as I'm not much of an expert. As part of an extension, we have some builders installing some switches and sockets into plasterboard. The work is not yet finished, but the plastering and socket installation is. To me, the work looks a shambles but I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable. Please take a look at the pictures below and tell me;
a) Is this installation really bad?
b) What would the best way be to resolve this?

Having read around a bit it looks like the wrong boxes have been used (metal, not plasterboard boxes) and that the plasterboard has been cut really badly. If numerous boxes are being installed next to each other in plasterboard then how do you do this neatly?

I'm prepared to tell the builder to sort this out properly but I'm not really sure what to ask them to do.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cheers,
Marc

Sponsored Links
I'd rush outside and hobble their horses to stop them riding off into the sunset!

Its absolutely rubbish!! Where are the backboxes (cant see any) wrong type of faceplates used, very badly installed without an ounce of thought for aesthetics. In a word yeeeeehaaar !

Sponsored Links
That's just rubbish, I'm afraid.

If they don't put it right with proper filler after straightening the boxes, then deduct a suitable amount and get it repaired by someone else.

Also the five on top of each other is unacceptable.

It doesn't inspire confidence in any other work they may have done which you cannot see.

What a load of shoit........ and this is what you can see!!!!!!!! I would have serious concerns about the rest of the job.... where did you get these cowboys from ??

Ghastly job.....can't see if the void is deep enough to use dry lining boxes for the sockets, but thats no excuse.
John :)

Replace the plaster board sheets involved

Use the correct boxes.

If there has to be two singles next to each other then use a dual back box. Not a double. A dual is designed to take two single plates side by side.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB3.html

MTMDLB3.JPG

Move this thread to the electrical section for more advice. ( and comments about the bodged work )

Metal boxes may not be totally wrong as some seem to be screwed into cross battens but they have put them too close to each other and made a mess of filling the edges after they cut too much out. Darent think what the stuff you can't see is like!

Looking at the third from top picture, (and it is a ghastly looking set-up), are the two faceplates below the double socket data outputs?

If so then I would suspect you have these cables running alongside mains voltage cables which, if I am not mistaken, is totally wrong and can lead to problems as well as being dangerous.

Hope you haven't paid for any of this yet? Have building control seen what is happening?

You're right, they've got to have a 50mm separation as well as be in separate back boxes.

In the last pic there appear to not be bonding wires to the backbox earth terminal.

I know there may not have to be, but good practice and all that.

And the faceplate screws aren't lined up either.

Lets face it, its crap in every way, I would be ashamed if I had done that. The list of things wrong / shoddily done is huge. Get it ripped out and done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back