Bit of a tidy up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed this mains was a bit of a mess, so thought I'd have a tidy up.

58906A38-BB44-4D21-9BC6-073B25492C81-268-00000021B7D62B5A.jpg

1FD49433-0CBC-4CC2-A8DC-A08563AB83AE-268-00000021D9B20CAE.jpg

966D6AFE-029B-4AC9-AD75-38D01997AE25-268-0000002239B61203.jpg

:D

Sponsored Links
There's one in the new CU. What's the point of having two idenitcal switches in series with one another?

Sponsored Links
now you've got that Schneider beast in there, not a lot.

Impressed with the neutral tails though, they can be a pig in that size board, did you straighten them out or just tuck them all behind the mcb pan curly?

Straightened them out and choped them down a bit. There's a bit of slack at the back of the pan, should they ever need retermination.

There's one in the new CU. What's the point of having two idenitcal switches in series with one another?

All the argument on here and the petition that was started to get all supplies fitted with them!

And they are being removed by electricians!

Straightened them out and choped them down a bit. There's a bit of slack at the back of the pan, should they ever need retermination.

and cut out and bushed the back of the board for the outgoing cables?

I somewhat agree with Westie, they're useful for a board change, but that Schneider board will be good for 25+ years, if not a lot longer, so in this case, it's pretty redundant

All the argument on here and the petition that was started to get all supplies fitted with them! And they are being removed by electricians!
Yes, as an 'observer', it does seem fairly odd to me to have got rid of it!

Kind Regards, John

I somewhat agree with Westie, they're useful for a board change, but that Schneider board will be good for 25+ years, if not a lot longer, so in this case, it's pretty redundant
Unless, of course, the 18th Edition calls for DP RCBOs (or MCBs), most of them remain 2-module width and one wants to 'upgrade to current reg standards' :)

Kind Regards, John

Not seen that style board before,
Whats going on at the top.

I (Think) I recall from your previous posts an issue with isolators.
I am unsure why this is, would be interested to know why.
I like to be able to work on a board knowing no power is getting to it
I often see a lot of bare copper at the incoming terminals, it makes me very hesitant. Isolated board - lovely.

Oh and the 18th I was told by my assessor is to be RCBO boards - and away with ring final circuits

the top is the 'busbar' the schneider MCB pan contains the busbar, so you can turn ways on and off by sliding the brown switch and a little metal prong (ie busbar prong) slides out into the MCB/RCBO

John, if that is the case, MF's will undoubtedly remanufacture to 1 module width

a little metal prong (ie busbar prong) slides out into the MCB/RCBO
I thought the metal prong was fixed (as with any other 'comb' busbar, and the switching done internally. I've seen, but never played with these boards, so I could be wrong.

I think if we get DP RCBOs they'll first be fitted to TT installs where isolation requirement is DP, however I think there would be physical limitations to manufacturing 18mm wide DP RCBOs. Hager do a good compromise which is a 36mm DP RCBO with one of the busbar tunnels being blind and a cable coming out the front instead.

Even so, I'm sure if there was any risk of a neutral to earth fault causing dangerous electric shocks even with the line removed then we would have banned SP RCBOs by now. After all they've been in the book a good 20 years.

Not seen that style board before,
Whats going on at the top.
They used to be badged as Merlin Gerin, at the top are sliders that move down to cover the screw hole and power up the stub that powers the MCB/RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back