Country
United Kingdom
Photo0134.jpg

The small black box on the left is neutral

The small black box on the right is love

The Box with 4 trips on it are lights and sockets

The isolator bottom left is the Garage

The Isolator bottom right doesn't feed anything

All of this is housed in a large poxy box in the hall, and it looks naff.

Any suggestions on how I could tidy this up would be appreciated - and suggestions on anything I ought to look for in terms of how the house is wired would also be appreciated.

Lastly, I would like tidy up the power to the garage (possibly even put in a separate box for lights, sockets and my MIG Welder, so again your thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
start by ringing your supplier and ask them to fit a dp isolator, the reason i say this is, obviously so consumer unit changes can take place easily, also they may well change the meter leaving you with a blank canvas ( so to speak)

THEN CALL A PART P REGISTERED COMPETENT PERSON to change your consumer unit (which will get rid of the need for them other boards that are split into your meter tails, and will give you RCD protection)

Is there an earth connection to the consumer unit bottom right? The lack of a green/yellow cable would worry me immensely. You say it doesn't feed anything, but it looks to be switched on and if the fuse is present, there's a live cable running off somewhere.

This set up needs urgent attention by a competent person. the least of your worries should be what it looks like, your priority should be to make it safe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back