Bit of advice for workshop power.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a workshop built on the back end of my garage. The garage has existing power to a single socket and spurred to an FCU for the light.

I’d like to run multiple sockets and a new light in the workshop from the feed, but not sure how best to achieve it. Could someone advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where does the supply to socket originate from ? Cable from house directly ,or is it from a fuse board in the garage ?

It comes from the main CU in the house. Has it’s own breaker.

What type and rating is the breaker.
For instance RCBO ,MCB , 16 amp ,32 amp ?

Sponsored Links
Just looking around a bit more and as this is from the CU it will be ok if done as a radial circuit?

it will be ok if done as a radial circuit?
Why wouldn't it be?
Almost all circuits are radials.

As has already been asked:
What size is the cable from the consumer unit to the garage
What device(s) protected the cable in the consumer unit - add pictures here if unsure.
What distance between consumer unit, garage and the workshop
What is to be used in this workshop ?

This is what’s in the consumer unit. And I was thinking something like the attached.

Thanks

iOS Image - 747945159.jpg
iOS Image - 4125232465.jpg

I did this a few years ago. I had another (smaller) CU put in the shed, feeding sockets and lights from there.

What were you contemplating plugging into the ten socket outlets ?

Sorry just seen the questions. Was on the phone app before and it wasn't updating the post.

Just to clarify:
What size is the cable from the consumer unit to the garage - 2.5mm2 T&E
What device(s) protected the cable in the consumer unit - add pictures here if unsure. - Pic above, seems to be 20A breaker
What distance between consumer unit, garage and the workshop - CU to garage ingress is about 1.5m max
What is to be used in this workshop ? - Nothing major, 3d printer, CCTV, a few battery chargers. its more a hobby shop than industrial unit.

From what your pic of CU shows ,it would appear that the circuit has RCD protection , does it ? What size cable will you use 2.5 mm ? What testing will you do before energising the circuit after alterations ? Diagrams ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back