Bit of advice...re: purchasing a car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Am considering purchasing a 5 year old Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Elegance from a dealer.

Nice looking car etc but my one concern is that the MOT is due in just 6 weeks.

Is it almost standard practice to ask the dealer to do a quick check to see if there are any issues?? Sounds daft I know becuase the garage might not say if they saw something wrong.

Am I in a position where I could say that I'll pay the right price if they give me 12 months MOT???

Am fairly new to this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make them an offer to buy the car subject to 1yrs MOT.
They will certainly have a deal with a garage that if not does MOT's will be able to get done. Shouldnt be any problem at all. UNLESS THE CAR IS C**P

Also have a look at the service history. It is young enough that it may have been serviced by a main dealer. Whoever is selling it will have made sure to obtain the history and will be pleased to show it to you if it tells a good story.

You want to see that it has been serviced regularly, at the correct mileage/times and by what appears to be a reputable company.

If you visit or phone the company they will have a record of its service history. They will also know what mileages it had covered at what dates.

You might also find that the previous owner did not bother having it serviced, which is a bad sign.

Hi,

I used to sell cars for a living. I never sold a car without a long MOT. ie: If it had only a couple of months I got it MOTd again. No reason not too unless there are problems with it. Don't take it without 1yr MOT.

Octavia diesels are great cars, but watch ouyt for suspension and brakes being worn, specially high mileage taxis...
If it passes an MOT then then suspension/brakes are generally not too bad, so again, get the MOT.

As said before, check the service history. Ask to see all the documents, don't take a car with no history. You might find the previous owner's phone number on some of the documents, ring them and ask about the car. (or get their name & adress from the log book and ring directory enquiries then phone them)

Sponsored Links
BigGar said:
Nice looking car etc but my one concern is that the MOT is due in just 6 weeks.

Don't be silly .......... You need your head read if you buy that :rolleyes:

Walk away... Do not let the heart rule the head.

I bet the sump is full of tar !!

;)

look at it from the sellers pov, no point in getting mot unless some one is actualy going to buy it.

but yes ask for 12mths mot

if it fails it wont be you that has to pay to have it repaired, since you have not bought it

this is entirely dependant on the mileage. the car is only 5 years old after all

if it was sub 40k i would buy it with a short MOT....at the right price.

i do most of my own work though. if i were you i would insist on a new MOT but the more cynical of us would suggest it might not be worth the paper its written on if the trader merely wants to offload a dodger.

at least it would save you the 50 odd quid it is for an MOT now. (which incidentally is scandalous.....bloody VOSA cheats get us to pay for their bloody computerisation :evil: )

the bottom line of course but if hes considering taking a car with a short MOT at any price he better be aware he has more chance of a good outcome with a lower mileage car. he hasnt mentioned it.

buy it with a short MOT....at the right price.

are you hard of reading?

Sponsored Links
Back