Black and Decker...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My local hardware store has gone B&D crazy. Aprart from Bosch and Ryobi electrical tools all the rest is now B&D, drill bits, sand paper, attatchments, hand tools. I didn't even know they made this stuff. Main question is, can anybody tell me what the quality of their products is like.
Thanks Kev....

Sponsored Links
I've bought B&D drill bits in the past, decent quality. Their range in general is fine for DIY use. The only thing I'd say is that the stuff is overpriced, you can buy better/equivalent from trade counters/internet for much cheaper.

i rate bxd just below or simmilar to green bosch with ryobi above by 2 or three points

i rate ryobi as diy light to medium
bosch green as diy and light trade
bxd as diy and handy spares ;)

not a scientific report but you get the idea

B&D is the DIY division of De Walt. Good for home (light use) but not much more than that.

I would rather buy Ryobi than B&D and would rate Bosch green range a tadge in front of B&D. (same as big-all)

What tools are you looking at or was it a general enquiry ?

With the credit crunch there are good deals to be had on some better brands such as Makita and De Walt.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with B&D. If the price is right then they will do the job

I got a really old B&D hammer drill which is probably over 20 years old or so. Been in the family since. Still works fine, I just cant bring my self to throw it away. Was our main drill at one stage. Fitted my first kitchen with it when I was about 15! Brings back memories :)

the old black black and decker professional range was one of the best ranges about - it only went downhill when they re-badged it dewalt.

( and dewalt is part of black&decker - not the other way round )

I have a B&D Professional drill (about 30 years old, I would guess) which is superb; an old B&D industrial angle grinder which is still doing work.

But as for the stuff they market nowadays, it all seems to be aimed at light users but not competitively priced, so not necessarily good value.

It was really just a general enquiry about B&D products. It just amazed me that they changed their whole tool range over night. I also have a 20 year old B&D 2 speed drill and a newer 4 inch angle grinder and I can't fault either, but B&D don't get good press here (ther're not a German company :rolleyes: ). There's quite a difference in price range here between B&D and Bosch green. eg. I picked up the angle grinder for around 25 euro, and the green equivalent is twice the price. I'll give the stuff a try. The other option is drive another 10 kms. to the next hardware. Thanks for the replys guys... Kev...

I still have a couple of B&D drills from when they were only 1 speed (turquoise) that are still used regularly. Must be all of 45 years young.
My main drill is an old Quattro, which is also used regularly, as is (or was) a 12v Cordless.

Although all my stuff has been used in the building trade, they still deliver the goods.

Having said that, my son has just burnt the motor of my KC1282 cordless, drilling wet driftwood ! I don't put that down to dodgy tools,,,, rather a dodgy son !

If I have to replace it, it will be a B&D item.

cheers mike.

I've had a look on that site for images, but can't seem to find them. Do you know if there are any ?

Anyone know what the equivelent item would be if I need to get a replacement drill (KC1282CN) ?

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back