Black cladding / anyone charred their own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get some black cladding for the garden room. I know there’s the cedral stuff and I might use that round the back, but quite fancied using wood for some of it, anyone ever got the blowtorch out and charred some new timber? I’m thinking of doing this, using larch as a cheaper alternative to cedar

Or, any pointers to nice looking dark grey/black cladding, wood or otherwise muchos appreciated (y)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, seen it done a few times on TV. It’s not a massive area either, so doable without spending a fortune on gas

You'll probably need one of those torch heads that spreads the flame wide, and perfect an even motion.

It will be uneven with a blow lamp, in my experience. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need one of those torch heads that spreads the flame wide, and perfect an even motion.

It will be uneven with a blow lamp, in my experience. :whistle:

Yeah, I’ve done a fair few scaffold shelves and the odd bit of furniture like this, and I know what you mean, it’s all in the motion. but this is a different kettle of fish. I’ll post pics whatever happens…

If it's long life weather resistance, I suspect it needs to go in a kiln or suchlike, not just tickled with a flame

Probably, but my thinking is given you can leave it untreated and let it go grey, this shouldn’t be any worse, and I want the darker look

Doesn't heating it change the grain structure to prevent splitting too, for the longer life and whether proofing?

I just went down a rabbit hole of research papers, and the most comprehensive paper I found concluded that it's very dependant on wood type, and any improvements in resistance to decay is very inconsistent, and charred wood should be thought of as primarily an aesthetic change

I just went down a rabbit hole of research papers, and the most comprehensive paper I found concluded that it's very dependant on wood type, and any improvements in resistance to decay is very inconsistent, and charred wood should be thought of as primarily an aesthetic change

I’m happy with that to be fair, the wood won’t cost a fortune and it’ll still be cheaper per meter than composite stuff and I prefer working with wood. And burning stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back