Cedar cladding suppliers

I did both. I dipped the ends about 150mm in a bucket of clear endgran preservative for at least 5 minutes and then (once dry) the ends had a couple of coats of Osmo. The thing I wanted to avoid was endgrain staining from water absorption so that's why I thought the Osmo coating was important to try and repel water, perhaps more important than the preservative?

As for pre treating, its essential to protect the timber and obviously you wont get to the back, the ends or inside the grooves once fitted, and if it does shrink a bit then you potentially have some unprotected timber. So I would not fit any until it was properly treated.

BTW, Wood Finishes Direct have an offer for the Osmo clear extra - 3l for the price of 2.5

Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra | Exterior Wood Protection (wood-finishes-direct.com)

Sponsored Links
I did both. I dipped the ends about 150mm in a bucket of clear endgran preservative for at least 5 minutes and then (once dry) the ends had a couple of coats of Osmo. The thing I wanted to avoid was endgrain staining from water absorption so that's why I thought the Osmo coating was important to try and repel water, perhaps more important than the preservative?

As for pre treating, its essential to protect the timber and obviously you wont get to the back, the ends or inside the grooves once fitted, and if it does shrink a bit then you potentially have some unprotected timber. So I would not fit any until it was properly treated.

BTW, Wood Finishes Direct have an offer for the Osmo clear extra - 3l for the price of 2.5

Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra | Exterior Wood Protection (wood-finishes-direct.com)

did the 150mm of endgrain preservative not show then as a slightly different shade? That’s what’d worry me but I’m guessing you had no issues

No the preservative dried clear and did not darken the cladding and the Osmo dried a single shade too.

I don't remember the make of the preservative, but thinking about it, it may not have been specific end grain treatment but a generic wood preservative. I'm thinking this as I don't think I have ever bought specific end grain treatment as I would not use it often, so more likely (knowing me) I would buy a standard wood preservative that would have multiple use :rolleyes:

Perhaps you can do a trial

Got it all delivered last week, it’s apparently “air dried/green” but doesn’t appear to be particularly wet apart from one board which feels a bit on the heavy side.
Planning on keeping them in the garage to acclimatise for about 3 weeks before treating all the end grains and fitting it. Called osmo tech support and they definitely recommend having it fitted and exposed for several weeks before going on with the UV oil (front face only obvs).

The bloke seemed pretty knowledgeable to be fair and talked through the whole thing in a lot of detail.

Reckon the 3 week acclimatisation thing is ok/overkill/not enough? The only reason I’m doing it is to avoid any change in dimension after I’ve fitted it which would look noticeable. It’s mentioned in a few places like the Silva cedar install guides to acclimatise it, wasn’t really aware it was necessary tho.

Sponsored Links
Put it up today, happy with the look. Next challenge is try and get the UV protection right

Attachments

• 0A44FFC0-AACC-4DBC-8949-397CE255CA9B.jpeg
    0A44FFC0-AACC-4DBC-8949-397CE255CA9B.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 8402C0F6-FB58-4D0E-B412-4991B675A4EC.jpeg
    8402C0F6-FB58-4D0E-B412-4991B675A4EC.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 109
Finally got my cedar today. You don’t get much for £2k and I had to help the driver unload!

Good job I did, as one of the extra wide fascia boards was damaged/broken down one side so I said I wasn’t taking that one.

Driver was a bit apprehensive about me rejecting a single board, but once I explained each one was £72 we was fine with the fact I was accepting anything other than perfect.

DA3B78D2-80F9-48AE-B517-B6F07432E198.jpeg

Gave mine 2 coats of osmo clear this week after leaving it untreated on the wall for a couple of months. Had some spare so found a use for it on the lean to gables. Bit of a faff working off the new roof to apply it but Happy with the look (y)

Attachments

• 39B9D0F9-446C-4177-A352-B6FDC9B63072.jpeg
    39B9D0F9-446C-4177-A352-B6FDC9B63072.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 68
Well it sat in the garden for a year, but I finally got mine put up on the house.

Probably saved myself a grand by ordering it waaaaaayyyyy to early given the price of timber now :D

790AB03F-E94F-4821-9FF1-465AB89E81BD.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back