Blanking plate over gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, im due to get a gab hob installed, is it okay having these blanking plates there?

These cannot be moved so fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 340
Sponsored Links
Yes.

They may get discoloured or even damaged but they can be replaced.
They won't set fire to the tiles.

you can also get stainless steel ones in the same fit.

Excellento! I'll be applying some silicone at the bottom of these (or metal ones) just in case of steam rising but doubt it ever would as the heat from the hob would be alot further away.

Its getting fitted by john lewis folk and just wanted to be sure but I'll get some metal ones aswell to be sure

Sponsored Links
It's a pity you didn't get the wiring removed. There's always a way (like the service duct/void in the corner!)

Yeah it would have been idea bringing them up into the roof, but we already had the roof skimmed and the electrical mess underneath was unearthed when I removed the old tiles + platerboard (all the junction boxes and what not was underneath all the tiles, so didn't know about them at all)

We're not too bothered about the facebooks, and tbh don't really notice them already which is good! but the main thing is that they'll have no issues putting the gas hob there.

They'll probably moan about where the electric socket is, it's behind a kitchen drawer and is just a socket, but it's only for ignition so is fine using a plug socket from what I heard! When this is done I'm going to be so relieved

"unearthed" ... an unfortunate term on an 'electrical' forum o_O :)
(... but we know what you mean)

Am I missing something? What's facebook got to do with it?

Holy Moly, I just re-read what I wrote and I apologise as that doesn't make much sense

Translated
"Yeah it would have been idea bringing them up into the roof, but we already had the roof skimmed and the electrical mess underneath was revealed when I removed the old tiles + platerboard (all the junction boxes and what not was underneath all the tiles, so didn't know about them at all)

We're not too bothered about the faceplates, and tbh don't really notice them already which is good! but the main thing is that they'll have no issues putting the gas hob there.

They'll probably moan about where the electric socket is, it's behind a kitchen drawer and is just a socket, but it's only for ignition so is fine using a plug socket from what I heard! When this is done I'm going to be so relieved"

I'm going to screwfix to pick up loads of new sockets today and going to buy the LAP polished chrome single and double blanking plate as it has a gasket, but I'll silicone around the faceplate aswell, so no chance of steam etc.

Many thanks :)

Be care full, would silicon tarnish the finish, maybe someone else knows

As there will still be live wires behind the blanking plates, if you are installing metal ones don't forget to make sure that they are connected to an earth, either using by using the earth terminal mounted on the blanking plate, or by the use of metal fixing screws connecting them to earthed metal back boxes.

But be careful though, because on occasion sometimes when wiring has been disconnected, I have seen all of the unused wires, including the earth, put into new insulated screw terminals, leaving the metal back box unearthed.

......and, if the circuits are part of a ring final, make sure that the wires are terminated properly to maintain the integrity of the ring.
Testing continuity of the ring final at the consumer unit is the proper way to do this!

Be care full, would silicon tarnish the finish, maybe someone else knows
It can in theory although I've never seen it happen. The curing agent in most silicones creates acetic acid and this can definitely etch stainless steel. You can use a polyurethane sealant if you're concerned, or look for an acetone or alkoxy cure silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back