Blanking second switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked my Son in law to blank a 2nd switch to our dining room light. When he had completed the job the main switch notwdoes not work. Unfortunately, he did not take a photo of back of the switch. So I cannot go back to the original switch wiring. I have tested the yellow wire and when the 1st switch is turned on, it has power. Therefore, my assumption this is the switched live. Should the yellow wire be connected to the 2 live (red) wires. Am I correct?

Attachments

• Lightswitch.JPG
    Lightswitch.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
If you only want that switch to be operative, then ignore the Red,Yellow,Blue cable and just connect the Red and Black from the other cable to the switch.

Am I right in thinking that the photo is of the modified wiring where you now want a blank plate?

Please also post a pic of the wiring at the other switch.

I have tested the yellow wire and when the 1st switch is turned on, it has power.

How did you test it?

Should the yellow wire be connected to the 2 live (red) wires. Am I correct?

NO.

I could guess how it should be changed but it would be easier if you post a pic of the other switch, then I (or someone) can give a definitive answer.

If that is the switch to be blanked, then you will have to swap the Yellow and Red of the RYB cable

OR

alter the wiring at the other switch just using the Red and Blue wires and ignore the Yellow.

Safely terminate unused wires.

Sponsored Links
I asked my Son in law to blank a 2nd switch to our dining room light.
I wonder why he decided that everything would still work OK if he took a conductor which would have been connected to other ones via the switch and left it not connected to anything, ever?

Even if they don't have a clue how it works, how can anybody possibly think that permanently disconnecting a conductor is going to mean that it all still works the same?

It beggars belief, it truly does.

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt replies
the photo is of the modified wiring where I want to put the blanking plate on. I tested the yellow wire with a voltage tester. There was no power going down the wire with the main light switch turned off. When the light was switched on the yellow wire went live. I will take a pic of the other switch, but this will take a couple of days.

EFLImpudence
Thank you for you helpful advice, which is clear and concise, unlike ban-all-sheds post, who would rather make unhelpful comments than give sound advice!

OK.

You carry on your life on the basis that it is perfectly OK for people to do electrical work who not only don't know what they are doing but also refuse to even think.

I hope that when you realise that that is not a good idea, and that questioning someone's competence and attitude to thinking is actually sound advice, that the realisation is not bought at a high price for you.

If that is the switch to be blanked, then you will have to swap the Yellow and Red of the RYB cable

Surely it could be that Y ans B should be swapped. Hmm, I guess in that case you'd just end up with the other switch the wrong way up.

Safely terminate unused wires.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. Do not leave the unused wire - whichever one it is in the end - exposed as it will be live some of the time! Wrapping it with insulating tape and/or cutting the end off is not really sufficient, it needs to go into a terminal of some sort.

Hi endecotp
I will ensure I terminate all unused wire with wago connectors. Thanks again for your relevant advice.

Surely it could be that Y ans B should be swapped.
Well, Yellow is in Com so I thought that should be Line - although it doesn't really matter.

Hmm, I guess in that case you'd just end up with the other switch the wrong way up.
It may - but I don't think we can tell that from what we have, can we?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back