Bleeding oil line after running out...

hi , if you cannot turn off the oil feed at the tank it sounds as if the spindle is broke
not to worry you can install a new tank iso at a later stage
as for cracking the oil line nut at the burner and getting oil that is good
it sounds like you have a small bit of air between the black iso tap and the fuel pump on the burner
try to start the burner , if it locks out , wait and reset approx 30 seconds later , do this several times and the burner should fire for you as it will push the air out of the fuel pump

Sponsored Links
Right then - where are we up to?
(You must be well sick of this by now :eek: )
Not being able to turn the oil off for a filter check is a real bore. At least we know that oil is passing the valve, but of course not necessarily through the filter inside the bowl.
So - follow the oil pipe from the tank to the boiler. Does it rise to clear a wall or anything? This isn't normally a problem as the oil pump can cope with that - so long as there isn't any air in the pipe.
Next, there will be another valve just before the pipe enters the house. Thats a fire valve which shuts if things get hot. Its permissible to crack the nuts open there to watch for any flow.
As blackfriar has indicated, any nuts along the line can be undone to check for flow, but do be careful not to twist anything!
John :)

:D :) :) :LOL: :D :)

Turned it on and it's working! :)

The only thing is it's very slow coming on if that makes any sense. The house normally 'creaks' when the heating come on but now it's creaking very slowly and lightly.

Thank you all....so, so grateful.

Sponsored Links
Creaking slowly and lightly is rather like me, but only in the morning :p
Does the boiler sound different, in any way?
Either way, be snug! Its like the North Pole here (Northumberland coast)

Ha :p same here too! :oops:

Boiler sounds same as always. :D

I will get a new tank shut-off next time I'm in town.

Thank you all so much for helping us get the heating back, very grateful. You've saved us a few £££.

Is there anything I need to do regarding the pressure?

Can you see the pressure gauge on the boiler front?
The black needle should be the same as the red one (which can be manually set).
Fresh water is introduced to your sealed system via the filling loop, and you can see it in the original pics you posted.....another black tap, connected to a flexible braided pipe. There could (should) be two taps but I can only see one.
All that happens is fresh cold water is introduced into your central heating system......usually the fresh water is in a 15mm pipe and the C/H 22mm - rather bigger.
Opening these taps will increase the pressure and an average is 1 bar.
At this point, we assume that the red vessel is in good condition, and we can talk you through that later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back