blistering on bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently had my bathroom renovated and in the past month or two I've noticed the wall appears to be blistering quite badly. Initially it was minor but it has gotten worse in recent weeks. The blistering is happening in just one place... by the side of the bath with overhead shower (with pipes in wall), which makes me concerned I have a leak. That said, there doesn't appear to be any discolouration, or signs of water damage in the room below. Any thoughts most welcome... Thank you!

Attachments

• wallpicture.jpg
    wallpicture.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Looks like water in the wall to me, pushing the paint off. Prick or scrape the blisters and see if they have water or crystals inside.

Stand back and take a wider pic so we can see what's nearby.

Was the wall papered or tiled before?

Is that a window next to it? Does it get wet with condensation or splashes? How is the room ventilated?

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thanks for your comments. The blistering is just to the right of a shower over bath. Further right out of shot is a towel rail. So that's a shower screen you can see on the left. And yes, it was installed as part of the renovation. I've noticed in recent days the screen (made up of two glass panels) appears to have dropped, with the panel joining the wall coming away slightly at the top (above the shower head and not at bottom)... and the panel you normally swing open now unable to open because it hits a metal frame attached to the bath. Also noticed this morning after running the shower that there was a pool of water in the corner under where this blistering is. My main concern was that I had a leak from the tap/shower... but do people think the screen is the issue then? Ie water getting through an hitting the wall... rather than coming from behind from another leak?

Looks like water in the wall to me, pushing the paint off. Prick or scrape the blisters and see if they have water or crystals inside.

Stand back and take a wider pic so we can see what's nearby.

Was the wall papered or tiled before?

Is that a window next to it? Does it get wet with condensation or splashes? How is the room ventilated?
To the left of the blistering as you look at it, is a shower over bath. To the right just out of photo is a towel rail. I don't think it was papered or tiled. I the shower/bath area had a waterproof coating applied and then tiled on top. The wall was just plasterboard I think. I think there is a chance water is coming through the shower screen, I guess either leaching in wall or being splashed a bit. If that is the case, though, I am surprised the blistering isn't closer to the shower, rather than kinda bending away. Unless the moisture is just trying to escape somehow. As you can tell - I know very little!

Looks to me like the blistering describes the arc of a circle of what water, reaching plaster at a point in the center of the circle, would spread out to in all directions, bringing salts out of the plaster as it goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back